Subject: [mpls-tp] Fwd: [mpls] Liaison Statement: Re: LS205 - Considerations on the approach, to providing OAM for MPLS-TP (#37.02)

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:04:45 +0100

Forwarding to the mpls-tp list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[mpls] Liaison Statement: Re: LS205 - Considerations on the 
approach, to providing OAM for MPLS-TP (#37.02)
Date: 	Tue, 27 Jul 2010 05:31:38 -0400
From: 	IETF Chair <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], IETF Liaison Statements <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked]

Purpose: In response

Thank you for your liaison COM15-LS205-E, Considerations on the approach
to providing OAM for MPLS-TP.

We agree that it is desirable to extend the OAM capabilities of the MPLS
protocol suite to support the needs of the transport network operators
in a timely manner. We hope that these requirements are correctly
captured in RFC 5654 and RFC 5860 both of which completed the IETF
consensus process and received substantial and constructive review by
Study Group 15 of the ITU-T.

As you appreciate, both the IETF and the ITU-T are contribution driven
organizations. The IETF would therefore encourage the service providers
who are requesting more rapid development of standards to participate
more fully in the IETF standardization process.

Your liaison references some interoperability tests. It is hard for us
to evaluate the scope and validity of these tests for a number of reasons:

    - The specification of the protocols actually tested and the
      detailed results are confidential to the participants and not
      generally available.

    - We cannot assess which features documented in the referenced
      draft (draft-bhh-mpls-tp-oam-y1731) were tested and which
      were not tested.

    - The current revision of draft-bhh-mpls-tp-oam-y1731 does not
      provide full details of the protocol mechanisms of all of the
      features it describes.

    - The test description refers to the unpublished G.8114 (2008),
      which we understand does not have ITU-T consensus.

With regard to the specific technical proposal outlined in the liaison,
the IETF process is available to investigate the approaches to the
design of an enhanced MPLS OAM to satisfy the needs of network
operators, including of course the transport network operators. Such
ideas must comply with previously agreed requirements unless new
requirements are brought forward and agreed by consensus in both the
IETF and the ITU-T. All new approaches are subject to technical
discussion within the IETF and will be reviewed by IETF consensus.
Proponents of alternative solutions are encouraged to discuss them on
the appropriate IETF mailing lists and to attempt to persuade the
community of the technical merit of their proposals.

The IETF looks forward to working cooperatively with the ITU-T to
develop MPLS-TP OAM solution components in a timely manner that meets
the needs of network operators wishing to deploy MPLS technology.

On behalf of the IESG,
  Russ Housley
_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls