Subject: [mpls-tp] Question regarding draft-ietf-mpls-tp-identifiers

From: "Weingarten, Yaacov (NSN - IL/Hod HaSharon)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 10:10:00 +0200

Hi,

I have a question regarding MEP and MIP identifiers as described in
sections 7.2 & 7.3 of the I-D.  Section 7.2.1 describes the use of ICC
formatted identifiers for a MEP and I would expect that this format
could similarly used to identify a MIP (assuming that the operator has
assigned a unique ICC identifier to the MIP).  However, section 7.3 only
describes used of the Node_ID/IF_Num format described in section 7.2.2,
i.e. the IP format.

Is there a reason that the ICC-based format cannot be used for a MIP?
In addition, is the choice of using the ICC-based format or IP-based
format a choice that is made per MEP or per path or per network?  (In
other words, if one MEP uses the ICC-based format, would the second MEP
of the path necessarily use the same format? Similarly, at the network
level if one path uses IP-format addressing for its MEPs would all the
paths in the domain use the same format?)

Best regards,
 
Yaacov Weingarten
Industry Environment, Packet Transport
Nokia Siemens Networks
Hod Hasharon, Israel 45241
Tel: +972-9-775 1827
Mob: +972-54-220 0977