Subject: VPN mailing list

From: Naganand Doraswamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 10:56:58 -0500

I have created VPN mailing list and attached a proposed charter. I would
like to start discussion on what the charter of working group should be and
what problems we should be working on. We intend to have another BOF at
IETF but this time we need to nail down the charter.

VPN BOF
-------

Proposed Chairs
---------------
Naganand Doraswamy ([email-masked])
Robert Moskowitz   ([email-masked])

Area Directors 
--------------
Thomas Narten ([email-masked])
Jeffrey Burgan ([email-masked])

Area Advisor
------------
TBD

Mailing Lists
-------------
Discussions: [email-masked]
subscription: [email-masked]. 
              In the body of the message say: subscribe vpn

Description of VPN BOF
----------------------
Virtual Priavate Networking (VPN) is a way of extending a private
network seamlessly  over a public network. However, this raises
various issues such as security, Addressing, Quality of Service to
name a few as the traffic belonging to the private network traverses a
public network.

VPN model can be one of many. An organization can build its VPN. An
ISP can build and maintain a VPN of an organization. VPN can exist
between organizations (extranets).

There is a need to define mechanisms to achieve these capabilies.

Some of the issues that needs to be addressed are:

1. Security: Security can be achived by restricting the packet flowing in an
out of a VPN. In addition the packets can also be encrypted and authenticated.

2. How to provide Quality of Service/Class of service for packets
flowing between the edges. In this case, we may not be worried about
providing end to end QoS but only between edges.

3. How to handle Network Address Translation issues. Even though NAT's
are a kludge, it has been deployed widely and there is a need to
address this issue properly. Should we consider extending the concept of
private addressing over the Internet?

4. Ease of configuration.

5. Reliability.

6. Management

The goals of the VPN BOF are:

1. Decide if there is a need to form a working group to solve some or
all of the problems above.

2. Which of the problems above should be addressed by the working
group.

3. What will the working group produce. In our opinion, we need to
interact with other working groups such as IPsec working group, NAT
working group, int-serv working group, and probably routing working
group to solve some or all of the problems above.

4. What other problems need to be solved for succesful deployment of VPN's.

--Naganand

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Naganand Doraswamy				(978)916-1323 (O)
Bay Architecture Lab				(978)670-0620 (Fax)
3 Federal St, Mail Stop BL3-03
Billerica, MA 01821

---

From: Badri Ghimire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:33:03 +0545 (NPT)

Hi,

I'm trying to implement VPDN( Virtual Private Dialup  Network) with Cisco 
routers and having a hard time. Can anyone point me to a right resources 
( Mailing list, URL etc ) for it, mailing list would be the best. Any 
pointer on this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.