Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-label-encaps-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:33:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.  This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label
Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: MPLS Label Stack Encoding
	Author(s)	: D. Farinacci, T. Li, A. Conta, Y. Rekhter, E. Rosen
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mpls-label-encaps-01.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 18-Feb-98
	
''Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS)'' [1,2,3] requires a set of procedures for augmenting network layer packets with ''label stacks'',
thereby turning them into ''labeled packets''.  Routers which support MPLS are known as ''Label Switching Routers'', or ''LSRs''.  In order to transmit a labeled packet on a particular data link, an LSR must support an encoding technique which, given a label stack and a network layer packet, produces a labeled packet.  This document specifies the encoding to be used by an LSR in order to transmit labeled packets on PPP data links and possibly on other data links as well.  On some data links, the label at the top of the stack may be encoded in a different manner, but the techniques described here MUST be used to encode the remainder of the label stack.  This document also specifies rules and procedures for processing the various fields of the label stack encoding.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mpls-label-encaps-01.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-label-encaps-01.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-label-encaps-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ds.internic.net can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.