Subject: RE: NHLFE "pop label" question

From: Shahram Davari <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:24:52 -0700

Hi George,

It indicates popping the top label only. However, if there are other labels
under the top label which need popping, then the router in question should
have separate NHLFEs for each of those labels, and inside those NHLFEs the
popping operation should be mentioned.

Regards,

Shahram Davari
PMC-Sierra Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: George [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: September 1, 1999 9:07 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: NHLFE "pop label" question

According to draft-ietf-mpls-arch-*, the NHLFE for an arriving
packet's FEC can indicate that the packet's label stack should be
popped.  Is this intended to indicate that only the top label
can/should be popped or that an arbitrary number of labels can be
removed from the top of the label stack?

Thanks.

-George
 [email-masked]

from draft-ietf-mpls-arch-06.txt:

>       2. the operation to perform on the packet's label stack; this is
>          one of the following operations:
> 
>             a) replace the label at the top of the label stack with a
>                specified new label
> 
>             b) pop the label stack
> 
>             c) replace the label at the top of the label stack with a
>                specified new label, and then push one or more specified
>                new labels onto the label stack.