Subject: Link Propagation Delay

From: "Alain Vedrenne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:55:21 +0100

Hi,

I have a concern for mpls traffic engineering.

"draft-Katz-Yeung-ospf-traffic-00 (traffic engineering extensions to OSPF)"
& "draft-ietf-isis-traffic-01 (IS-IS extensions for traffic engineering)"
do not support "Link Propagation Delay" TE parameter. The latter is
mandatory for VoIP in order to make sure that the end-to-end transit delay
for the selected path do not exceed 200 ms. Today it is not possible to
guarantee that constraint even with Resource Class/Color TE parameter. Only
draft-wimer-ospf-traffic-00 (additional OSPF extensions for Traffic
Engineering) proposes to take into account the "link propagation delay" TE
parameter.

Is there any plan to incorporate the "link propagation delay" TE parameter
into draft-Katz-Yeung-ospf-traffic-00 & draft-ietf-isis-traffic-01. Else we
are going to have problems for the support of VoIP over international
networks.

Alain Vedrenne

SITA EQUANT R&D
mailto:[email-masked]

Heraklion -  1041 Route des Dolines -  06560 Sophia Antipolis  -  France

---

From: "Bilel Jamoussi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:06:01 -0400

Bonjour Alain,

The following draft should address your concern with delay metrics in TE:

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Metrics and Resource Classes for Traffic
Engineering
	Author(s)	: D. Fedyk
	Filename	: draft-fedyk-mpls-te-metrics-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 22-Oct-99
	
There has recently been a lot of activity in defining the components
for MPLS-based traffic engineering.  This includes the recent
extensions of the Interior Gateway Protocols (IGPs) to carry metrics
and resource class information about links.  This memo explores
additional metrics that are useful for traffic engineering.  We also
describe some of the subtleties associated with the use of the
resource class (or color) vector that has been defined in the IGP
extensions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fedyk-mpls-te-metrics-00.txt

Bilel.

-----Original Message-----
From: Alain Vedrenne [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 1999 5:55 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Link Propagation Delay

Hi,

Alain Vedrenne

SITA EQUANT R&D