Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-theimer-mpls-oam-requ-00.txt

From: Theimer Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:41:08 +0200

FYI, we have submitted the following draft and would like to discuss it at
the DC meeting:

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Requirements for OAM Functionality in MPLS
        Author(s)       : T. Theimer, J. Klink
        Filename        : draft-theimer-mpls-oam-requ-00.txt
        Pages           : 5
        Date            : 21-Oct-99
        
This draft discusses the motivation for MPLS OAM functionality and
possible requirements for OAM in MPLS networks. Examples of OAM
functions include support for fault management, continuity checks,
loopbacks, performance monitoring and protection switching. Such
capabilities may be useful in many applications of MPLS networks, but
a detailed set of requirements is currently not available. Further
discussion and input is solicited, in particular from network
operators and service providers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-theimer-mpls-oam-requ-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-theimer-mpls-oam-requ-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:46:25 -0400

Hi,

         Please forgive me if I am confused, but aren't just about all of 
the requirements
described in your document already covered by the current MPLS MIBs? Your 
document
discusses such things as alarm notifications for paths going up/down, 
counting bytes in/out,
etc... for tunnel throughput verification. All of these things are included 
in the current MPLS
MIBs. A few things are not, but can easily be included.

         Is it your intent to augment these MIBs, or provide some sort of 
additional functionality in
addition to the standard SNMP mechanism to manage MPLS?

         --Tom