Subject: some questions to ask

From: "N.V.Subbarao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 20:01:45 +0530

i've two questions to ask:
1:   We are implementing COPS with RSVP. For that decision of whether
the customer should be allowed the resources or not takes place
centrally at the Policy Server.
We have a maximum life time for creation of LSPs through RSVP of about
30 seconds.

we don't know how to get sure whether within this life time, we'll be
able to send the message to the Policy Server for centralized decision
using COPS protocol and get the response back.

2: In the MPLS domain,to have interface with the customer, we define PVC
for control signaling from the customer to the switch.
But for data traffic, we have to create SVCs specifying the flow
specfications and type of SVC, whenever there is a request in the form
of Path Message from the customer. this SVC can be created through UNI
signaling. Switch can send back to us the VPI/VCI channel information,
but how can we send this channel identification information to the
customer,on which he can send the data packets for the specific
application.

Please suggest the solution, if u have,
Waiting for ur reply
Subba

---

From: Arni Raghu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 11:06:14 -0400

Hi,

> using COPS protocol and get the response back.

It depends on how complicated you Policy server design is..many factors
affect this..you PS could be directories based, or relational database
based..but whatever the case may be it better be fast..COPS essentially
is definitly not the bottleneck here..unless u have too many PEPs being
supported by a single PDP..in which case u should  consider a
distributed arch..

In my COPS implementation for a simple project I did not see too much
latency in decision making..of course my arch was simple..

my suggestion is implement it,try it and optimize it..here is a simple
tip..directories may be efficient for access but a rel DB is surely
better for very frequent updates..my opinion and anybody can refute it..

> customer,on which he can send the data packets for the specific

sorry no idea..

hth,
Arni