Subject: Update on CRLDP

From: "Bilel Jamoussi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:58:48 -0400

Several folks have asked for an update on MPLS activities in other standards
bodies. 
Here is a summary : 

CR-LDP in the ITU-T:
-----------------------------

Several questions (equivalent of working groups) address IP matters in ITU-T
SG13, Q20/13 in particular deals with "IP over ATM in public networks".
Q20/13 work has been going on for about two years and concluded, among other
things, in its I.ipatm recommendation, that MPLS is the preferred approach
for IP over ATM in public networks and selected CR-LDP as the most
appropriate MPLS signaling protocol satisfying carriers signaling and
traffic engineering requirements. I.ipatm recommendation has been determined
(.i.e. technically frozen text) on September 10th with unanimous country
level consensus and is awaiting final approval next March in Japan. 

Q20/13 is the main recommendation dealing with MPLS/CR-LDP in the ITU-T so
far. However, other recommendations are being worked out basing their work
on the results of I.iaptm recommendation, and therefore, indirectly making
reference to MPLS/CR-LDP. Examples of such recommendations in ITU-T SG13
are: I.31y2 dealing with IP services over B-ISDN, I.bip dealing with
interworking between IP and broadband networks and I.nip dealing with
interworking between IP and narrowband networks. 

CR-LDP in the ATM Forum:
---------------------------------------

ATM F has created a new group called AIC "ATM IP Collaboration". The group
held its first meeting during the last ATM Forum (Bangkok, September 29th)
to define its charter. Contribution 99-0521 was presented in this context
and proposed some work items to  be included in the scope of work of AIC.
These work items focus on MPLS/CR-LDP interworking with ATM based networks,
they include network interworking, service interworking as well as
interworking within a network element (Ships in the Night). Items seen as
most important are: Signaling, end-to-end QoS and Routing interworking
between CR-LDP and UNI/PNNI/AINI, Integrated management for MPLS/ATM
networks and coherent carriage of IP services and voice services from
MPLS/CR-LDP to ATM networks. The AIC group agreed to work on these items,
the understanding being that the ATM Forum will focus on either enhancements
to ATM specifications, develop new interworking specifications and issue
requirements to IETF for potential CR-LDP enhancements. Also, it is worth to
note that the goal here is to cooperate with ITU-T and IETF with possibly no
overlap of work. The AIC living list document (soon on ATM Forum AIC server)
describes the work items listed above.

Please contact Riad Hartani [email-masked] if you have specific
questions on the ITU and ATMF contributions.

Cheers,
Bilel Jamoussi
Nortel Networks.

---

From: "Scott W Brim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 09:27:15 -0400

At 13:58 10/05/1999 -0400, Bilel Jamoussi wrote:
>The AIC group agreed to work on these items,
>requirements to IETF for potential CR-LDP enhancements.

More specifically, we agreed that we want to work on the various aspects 
of MPLS interworking that you mention, and we're inviting contributions 
that are clearly focused, that can become bounded work items.  Also we do 
not expect to "issue requirements to the IETF", at least not unless the 
IETF establishes this kind of relationship.  There was general (rough?) 
consensus that the best way to send "liaisons" to the IETF is by 
submitting Internet Drafts.

...Scott