Subject: MPLS & IPv6 header flow field

From: Sean Murphy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 17:57:24 +0000 (BST)

Hi,

I think I saw somebody allude to the use of the flow field in the IPv6
header as an MPLS label on this mailing list recently.

I've never seen it discussed on this list, and I didn't come across any
reference to this in any MPLS docs that I've read. Is this considered a
reasonable candidate on which to base an MPLS implementation? If so, are
there any documents that refer to/describe this?

TIA,
Sean.

-----
Sean Murphy,			Email: [email-masked]
Teltec Ireland,			Phone: +353-1-7045080
DCU, Dublin 9,			Fax:   +353-1-7045092
Ireland.

---

From: "William F. Maton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 20:22:44 -0500 (EST)

> there any documents that refer to/describe this?

I've not seen it, but I have privately suggested it.  Imagine having to do
"mundane" destination lookups on IPv6 addresses!  It would be nice to look
at it more closely.

> DCU, Dublin 9,			Fax:   +353-1-7045092

wfms

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:19:55 -0500

William,

	That ol' Fred Baker wrote a draft (draft-baker-flow-label-00.txt, 4/97)
`E-I-E-I-O'

	The draft can be found at:

http://infonet.aist-nara.ac.jp/member/nori-d/mlr/id/draft-baker-flow-label-00.txt

Thanks to the useful archiving of Noritoshi Demizu.  Don't
everyone look at once...

--
Eric Gray