Subject: CFP : IEEE Comm Mag FT on TCP Performance

From: Mahbub Hassan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 17:21:40 +1100

Please accept my apology if you receive this multiple times.
Please distribute this CFP to your contacts.

Mahbub

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Call for Papers
      IEEE Communications Magazine

           Feature Topic on
TCP Performance over Emerging High-Speed Networks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since its launch two decades ago, TCP remains the most dominant end-to-end
transport protocol in the Internet and is likely to be a widely used protocol
in the next century. Most popular Internet applications, such as world wide
web, file transfer, e-mail and so on, use the reliable services provided by
TCP. The performance perceived by the users of these applications depend
largely on the performance of TCP. Due to the unprecedented growth of the
Internet over the last decade, several new high-speed networking technologies
emerged to carry the ever growing volume of TCP/IP traffic. Internet service
providers are implementing ATM, SONET and very recently WDM optical networks
in their backbones. Also, high-speed wireless links in the edges and satellite

links in the backbone are being deployed. Although TCP behaviour over the
traditional Ethernet and leased line based Internet was well understood, TCP
performance dynamics over these emerging high-speed networks are less clear.
Some of the questions that arise naturally are: how TCP congestion control
algorithms interact with the underlying network protocols? Will TCP protocol
processing overhead become the bottleneck over tera bit per second optical
networks? Can we continue to rely on packet drop at the routers as congestion
indication for the TCP for high speed access links? What role the next
generation protocols, such as IPv6, RSVP, can play to help TCP making the
best use of the network bandwidth?

The goal of the feature topic is to publish tutorial articles describing the
performance issues, challenges and solutions for running TCP over the
emerging high-speed networks. High quality articles are solicited on
topics including, but not limited to:

     - Performance of TCP/IP over ATM
     - Performance of TCP/IP over SONET
     - Performance of TCP/IP over WDM
     - Router mechanisms to improve TCP performance
     - End-to-end traffic management in IP/ATM Network
     - TCP enhancements for long thin and fat pipes (satellite links)
     - TCP enhancements for high-error rate links (wireless links)
     - TCP performance at terrabit speeds
     - TCP performance improvement using proxies

----------------------
Submission Guidelines:
----------------------

Submissions should include a cover page with authors' names, affiliations,
addresses, fax and phone numbers, and email addresses. Please submit full
papers, not previously published or submitted for publication elsewhere to
one of the guest editors electronically (postscript, pdf or MS Word). Please
also send a separate email with authors' names, addresses, fax and telephone
numbers, title and abstract of the paper. Hard copies should be sent only if
electronic submission is not possible.

---------------
Guest Editors:
---------------

 Dr. Mahbub Hassan
 School of Computer Science and Software Engineering
 Monash University
 900 Dandenong Road
 Melbourne, VIC 3145, Australia
 Tel: +61-3-9903 2122
 Fax: +61-3-9903 1077
 Email: [email-masked]
 WWW:http://www.sd.monash.edu.au/~mahbub

 Professor Raj Jain
 Department of CIS
 The Ohio State University
 2015 Neil Avenue, DL 297,
 Columbus, OH 43210-1277, USA
 Tel: +1-614-292-3989
 Fax: +1-614-292-2911
 Email: [email-masked]
 WWW: http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~jain

--------------------
Important Deadlines:
--------------------

 Submission Deadline :          May 31, 2000
 Notification of Acceptance :   September 01, 2000
 Final Revised Manuscript Due:  October 31, 2000
 Publication of the Issue :     April, 2001

-------------
Useful Links:
-------------

Magazine home page:http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/commag/index.html

Author guidelines:http://pubs.comsoc.org/ci1/pub_guidelines.html

Feature Topic CFP URLs:
http://www.sd.monash.edu.au/~mahbub/tcpft.html
http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~jain/confs/tcpft.html