Subject: RE: ATM-LSR

From: "Scott W Brim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 11:57:08 -0500

Albert, talk to your colleagues inside Nortel, for example Riad Hartani, 
who are helping with these problems.

At 15:29 11/20/1999 +0000, Albert Pang wrote:
>Peter Ashwood-smith wrote:    The ATM-LSRs must be running IP/TCP/UDP or 
>you cannot run MPLS on them.  Normally one of the VCCs on a port is 
>configured to run classical IP on  ATM. It is over this VCC that all 
>normal IP traffic flows and it is over  this VCC that OSPF/RIP etc. will 
>operate to establish connectivity. TCP  then operates over this VCC also 
>and is used by MPLS for label requests  and mappings.  [Pang, Albert 
>[HAHN:2870:EXCH]]   Now the hard question is, is there any 
>recommendation on what ATM Service Category one should use for this 
>VCC.  'cbr', 'nrt-vbr', 'rt-vbr', 'ubr', 'abr'?
>
>In 'draft-ietf-mpls-atm-02' (seciont 7.1) it is mentioned that:
>
>    "The default VPI/VCI value for the non-MPLS connection is VPI 0, 
> VCI     32.  Other values can be configured, as long as both parties 
> are     aware of the configured value."
>
>But there is no recommendation on what ATM service category it should.
>
>The use of this IP/1483/ATM connection seems to have conflicting 
>requirements:  1) LDP and other routing protocols runs on top of 
>it.  The priority should be high.  2) Normal IP traffic (destinations 
>that do not have a FEC) also goes through     this VCC (not as important 
>as LDP/OSPF).
>
>How should we resolve this?  Is there a way to setup yet another 
>separate  channel (vpi.vci) for signaling (e.g. LDP/OSPF) and not for 
>normal traffic.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Albert Pang  Nortel Networks Germany
>
>
>
>