Subject: Label Detection

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:01:14 +0530

Hi All,
In case of MPLS over ethernet, we add a shim header between l2 and l3 header
right. I wanted to know how does a Label Switching Router know if it is a
Labeled packet or not

regs,
Ravi Singh.

---

From: Dirk Ooms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:40:30 +0100

It knows it because the EtherType in the ethernet header for IP, MPLS
unicast and MPLS multicast are different.

Dirk

-- 
Dirk Ooms (DN9)                           Alcatel Research
mailto:[email-masked]          Francis Wellesplein 1
Phone: +32 3 240 4732                       B-2018 Antwerp
Fax:   +32 3 240 9932                              Belgium

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:09:04 -0800

Ethertype is the indication. 8847 hex for unicast and 8848 hex for multicast
mpls packets.

R.

-- 
_____________________________________________________________________

     |          |         Robert Raszuk, CCIE #3690, ICQ #12710752
    :|:        :|:        IOS-Engineering, MPLS Development Team 
   :|||:      :|||:       170 W. Tasman Dr. F2, San Jose, CA 95134
.:|||||||:..:|||||||:.    Phone: 408-525-7588     Pager: 800-365-4578
C I S C O S Y S T E M S   Email: [email-masked]   Fax: 408-576-5240
                          URL:   http://wwwin-mpls.cisco.com
_____________________________________________________________________