Subject: Protocol Action: MPLS Support of Differentiated Services to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:46:57 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'MPLS Support of
Differentiated Services' <draft-ietf-mpls-diff-ext-09.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the Multiprotocol
Label Switching Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Bert
Wijnen and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
  This document defines a mechanism for the support of Differentiated
  Services (diffserv) over Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) networks.

  This mechanism allows the MPLS network administrator to select how
  diffserv Behavior Aggregates (BAs) are mapped onto Label Switched Paths
  (LSPs) so that he/she can best match the diffserv, Traffic Engineering
  and protection objectives within his/her particular network. For
  instance, this solution allows the network administrator to decide
  whether different sets of BAs  are to be mapped onto the same LSP or
  mapped onto separate LSPs.

Working Group Summary

  There was working group consensus on this proposal and no issues were
  raised during IETF last-call.  The last call was also noted on the difserv
  mailing list and no issues were raised there.

Protocol Quality

 This proposal was reviewed for the IESG by Scott Bradner.

Note to RFC Editor:

   Please change the reference to Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
   from RFC 2481 to RFC 3168.

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:05:04 -0500

> Wijnen and Scott Bradner.

So do we have IANA-assigned numbers for the DIFFSERV RSVP object yet?

Draft -09 still says it's TBD.

-- David

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 15:57:25 -0500

David,

    I think it's the DIFFSERV Class number that's TBD, and it is often
the case that assignments are not sought prior to getting the nod from
the IESG.  Also needed is the Diff-Serv Error code.

--
Eric Gray (mailto:[email-masked])
http://www.mindspring.com/~ewgray