Subject: traffic engineering

From: "k m a" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Nov 2001 20:07:29 -0000

hi all,
i have a doubt in the traffic engineering aspect of MPLS..i wanted to ask as to how the edge router which recives the packets from outside ,route them into the core...does it checks for links everytime a packet arrives....i mean how does it decide on an LSP...and does it have to probe the links for every packet that comes to it!
in short my question is referring to how the edge router in contarsts to a normal router behaves..for routing packets.....does it probe the available links packet by packet..or does it do once in the beginning and then sends them to a particular LSP the packet which r of same destination!!
hope am clear....!!
thanx

---

From: "Kameswara Rao Avasarala" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:56:21 -0800

Hi,
  I understood your question as "How does an edge LSR map an incoming packet
to a particular LSP ? " . Is my understanding correct ?
Kamesh.

Kameswara Rao Avasarala
Software Engineer
Ericsson Inc
Telephone:
Work:805-562-6212
Resi: 805-562-8841

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of k m a
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 12:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: traffic engineering

hi all, i have a doubt in the traffic engineering aspect of MPLS..i wanted
to ask as to how the edge router which recives the packets from outside
,route them into the core...does it checks for links everytime a packet
arrives....i mean how does it decide on an LSP...and does it have to probe
the links for every packet that comes to it! in short my question is
referring to how the edge router in contarsts to a normal router
behaves..for routing packets.....does it probe the available links packet by
packet..or does it do once in the beginning and then sends them to a
particular LSP the packet which r of same destination!! hope am clear....!!
thanx