Subject: questions related to Refresh reduction

From: "Sandeep S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 21:50:00 +0000

Hello,

Are MsgIds used only for stable states refresh messages or also for trigger 
messages. RFC2961 mentions using for any RSVP message - would mean they are 
used for PATHTEAR, RESVTEAR etc.

Suppose I have setup-

Node1 ----- Node2 ------ Node3 ------ Node4

Both bundling and msgids used only between Node2 and Node3. I have one lsp 
from Node1 to Node 4 and it is in stable state. Now I setup one more lsp 
from Node1 to Node4. PATH message for this new lsp reaches Node2 and it 
suppose happens to coincide at the same time as Node2 is sending its Summary 
refresh for the first lsp. Cuz of bundling would this ACK be piggy-backed on 
the trigger PATH for the new lsp. If so would the destination IP of bundled 
packet be changed to next-hop of Node3 or would it still be Node4 (cuz PATH 
is being sent to Node4)

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

---

From: "Rajeev Manur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 14:19:43 -0800

SRefresh msgs can used only if the corresponding PATH/RESV trigger msgs
have been sent with MSG_ID objects. That's how you can associate the
states..

MSG_ID_ACK/NACK can be either sent in seperate msgs or piggybacked in
other msgs..

Bundle msgs are always addressed to the immediate RSVP peer. The
sub-msgs contained inside the bundle msgs are themselves complete msgs
with their own rsvp header..

with regards,
Rajeev

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandeep S [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 1:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: questions related to Refresh reduction

Hello,

Are MsgIds used only for stable states refresh messages or also for
trigger 
messages. RFC2961 mentions using for any RSVP message - would mean they
are 
used for PATHTEAR, RESVTEAR etc.

Suppose I have setup-

Both bundling and msgids used only between Node2 and Node3. I have one
lsp 
from Node1 to Node 4 and it is in stable state. Now I setup one more lsp

from Node1 to Node4. PATH message for this new lsp reaches Node2 and it 
suppose happens to coincide at the same time as Node2 is sending its
Summary 
refresh for the first lsp. Cuz of bundling would this ACK be
piggy-backed on 
the trigger PATH for the new lsp. If so would the destination IP of
bundled 
packet be changed to next-hop of Node3 or would it still be Node4 (cuz
PATH 
is being sent to Node4)

_________________________________________________________________
Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at
http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp

---

From: "Sandeep S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 22:49:22 +0000

Thanks Rajeev. One more question - So if 
PATHTEAR/RESVTEAR/PATHERROR/RESVERROR messages are set with ACK bit and the 
peer replies with a NACK/ACK, cuz it is not a reliable exchange or as we 
don't care about it being received by next-hop or not, these ACKs or NACKs 
would be dropped or would never matter even if we don't get them

-Sandeep