Subject: Hello protocol in rsvp-lsp-tunnel-09.txt

From: Joe Dumont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 21:42:41 -0600

Hi,

I read draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-09.txt and
was wondering how the Hello protocol would be implemented.
Specifically, if the ip address of the neighbor node(s) is
(are) unknown, how do we get that address to establish the
initial Hello "connectivity"?  Is this message issued on a 
well-known broadcast address?

thanks in advance...

Joe

---

From: David Charlap <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:29:25 -0500

Joe Dumont wrote:
> 
> I read draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-lsp-tunnel-09.txt and was wondering how
> the Hello protocol would be implemented.  Specifically, if the ip
> address of the neighbor node(s) is (are) unknown, how do we get
> that address to establish the initial Hello "connectivity"?  Is
> this message issued on a well-known broadcast address?

Several possible ways.

1: For a a point-to-point link (like POS or ATM), then the neighbor
   address might be configured as a part of the link's configuration.

1a: Even for a broadcast interface (like Ethernet), you may have
    the ability to configure a set of neighbor addresses that you 
    expect to find attached to each interface.

2: It may be possible to get this information from routing protocols.

3: You can discover these addresses based on the addresses of incoming
   RSVP messages, like Path, Resv and Hello requests from your
   neighbor.

-- David