Subject: RSVP questions for the Error msg, spec uses word 'should', it is optional or not?

From: "Hong Liao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:58:59 -0500

Hi,

PathErr/ResvErr is optional not for the RFC2205 Appendix B,

For example:   rsvp spec rfc 2205 page 62

            One might expect the known Class-Num to provide information
           that could allow intelligent handling of such an object.
           However, in practice such class-dependent handling is
           complex, and in many cases it is not useful.

           Generally, the appearance of an object with unknown C-Type
           should result in rejection of the entire message and
           generation of an error message (ResvErr or PathErr as
           appropriate).  The error message will include the Class-Num
           and C-Type that failed (see Appendix B); the end system that
           originated the failed message may be able to use this
           information to retry the request using a different C-Type
           object, repeating this process until it runs out of
           alternatives or succeeds.

FRC2119

SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a
   particular item, but the full implications must be understood and
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

It looks like the Should means patherr or resverr is optional when the path
or resv message with error was sent out, the patherr or resverr is optioanl
to be sent back from switch.

Can anyone comfirm this for me?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Julia