Subject: Regarding the RSVP and LDP in same MPLS domain

From: "Rajamanickam, Jaganbabu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:37:01 -0500

Hi, 

  Can we have both RSVP supporting LSR's and LDP supporting LSR's in a same
MPLS domain

Jags

---

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:21:46 +0000

>   Can we have both RSVP supporting LSR's and LDP supporting LSR's in a same

yes.

and one LSR can support both protocols.

For example you can do LDP at the edge of your network, and RSVP-TE in
the core, and have your core LSRs "tunnel" LDP over RSVP-TE.  In this
case the label stack has an LDP assigned label "inside" the RSVP-TE
assigned label, and the LDP control plane uses "extended discovery"
between the core LSRs.

this enables you to traffic engineer at a coarser granularity than if
you ran RSVP-TE edge to edge.  It also reduces the label space required
in the core for the "n squared" RSVP-TE labels (since you are reducing
the value of n.)  It also allows you to have a hierarchical IGP
(backbone and edge areas) but still to use CSPF for your RSVP-TE
signalled LSPs - since these will only cross the backbone...

HTH

Giles

-- 
=================================================================
Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"
=================================================================