Subject: Re: Doubt in MPLS-VPN ....

From: Ajay Simha <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:22:09 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Shirish Indurkar wrote:

SI>Hi All,
SI>
SI>It is said that MPLS-VPNs generally consists of a set of sites that
SI>are interconnected by means of MPLS provider core network and the
SI>Service providers backbone consists of PE routers and Provider routers.
SI>
SI>Now that MPLS forwarding carries packets between PEs routers through the
SI>service provider backbone , MPLS packet must traverse through the P routers
SI>(if any) in between these PE routers.
SI>
SI>My question is how we can be sure that the MPLS-VPN Packet  is really Safe
SI>when it traverses  through the P routers ? I mean how the corporate information
SI>is still secured when it passes through the P routers ? It is still traversing
SI>through the Public infrastructure unencrypted .
SI>
SI>Any suggestion of yours would be of great help .

Is the packet "safe" when it traverses a provider network when you buy frame
relay or atm service or a leased line?

If you are still concerned in the atm/fr/leased line situation what would you
do - my guess is you'd encrypt you data from the customer end.  You can still
do this with MPLS VPNs.

-ajay

 SI>
SI>Thanks in advance .
SI>
SI>Shirish.
SI>

-- 
Ajay Simha
MPLS Deployment Engineer
IOS Technology Division
(919) 392-3141

"Study as if you were to live forever
 Live as if you were to die tomorrow"

 - Mahatma Gandhi