Subject: RE: How many can administrative groups assigned?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:15:50 +0200

Naidu, Kim,

I think it depends a little bit on the interpretation. In principle the
resource classes can be interpreted either as a bit mask (in which case 32
'base' classes can be defined) or as an integer value (in which case 2^32
values can be used). Even with the bit mask interpretation, derived
resource classes can be built by combining multiple non-mutually exclusive
'base' classes (you could have 32 generic classes called 1, 2, 3 and so on
and then build your resource classes on top of those). The problem lies of
course in the processing of the resource class information. If they are not
used in a simple bitmask, an AND operation is not sufficient to determine
the resource class of a link. Also, if a link would have multiple derived
classes, different TLVs would be needed. It would make sense to expand a
little bit on these issues in the appropriate documents. In my opinion,
this is a general issue with the TE extensions, so it should be explained
there.

Sven.

"Naidu, Venkata" <[email-masked]> on 07/05/2002 16:16:29

  To:          "'???'" <[email-masked]>,             
               [email-masked], CCAMP <[email-masked]>,       
               [email-masked]                             
                                                              
  cc:          (bcc: Sven VAN DEN BOSCH/BE/ALCATEL)           

  Subject      RE: How many can administrative groups         
  :            assigned?                                      

Kim,

-> If so, how many can administrative groups assigned? 32 or 2^32 ?

  32. A link can me member of multiple admin groups.

--
Venkata.

---

From: "Ravi Sankar Mantha" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 14:06:38 +0530

According to RFC 3212 (Constraint-Based LSP Setup using LDP ), the
definition of "RsCls " (32bit) field of the Resource Class TLV is,
        'The Resource Class bit mask indicating which of the 32
        "administrative groupsö or "colorsö of links the CR-LSP can
        traverse. '
 That should mean that the resource classes should be linterpreted as a bit
mask.
regards,
Ravi
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 1:46 PM
To: Naidu, Venkata
Cc: '???'; [email-masked]; CCAMP; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: How many can administrative groups assigned?

Naidu, Kim,

Sven.

Kim,

--
Venkata.

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 14:22:11 -0400

> this is a general issue with the TE extensions, so it should be explained

The definitions are currently very clear.  What you have described
differs from the current definitions and therefore would not be a
clarification to the use of admin class but a change in semantics.

I do not know of anyone using more than a handful of admin class bits
and many who do not use them at all.  Lets not take any MPLS
capability and make it any more complicated than it needs to be or
introduce arbitrary change for no good reason.

Curtis