Subject: RFC3036: "change in next hop" question (re-post)

From: "James R. Leu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 15:50:45 -0500

Hello,

(Excuse me if this has already been discussed, just
send me the pointer and I'll be on my way.)

In "Detect Change in FEC Next Hop" Note 4 states:

      4. Regardless of the Label Request procedure in use by the LSR, it
         must send a label request if the conditions in NH.8 hold.
         Therefore it executes the Send_Label_Request procedure directly
         rather than perform LSR Label Request procedure.

.. but when looking at NH.8:

      NH.8   Execute procedure Send_Message (Old Next Hop, Label Abort
             Request, FEC, TLV), where TLV is a Label Request Message
             ID TLV that carries the message ID of the pending label
             request.

.. I do not see any conditions to hold true.  I'm thinking Note 4 was
unchanged when the "Label Abort Request" support was added many revisions ago.
I think the conditions that need to hold true are:

      NH.6   Does LSR have a label request pending with Old Next Hop?
             If not, goto NH.10.

      NH.7   Is LSR using Conservative label retention?
             If not, goto NH.10.

Could anyone shed any light on this?  If not, does anyone remember
what revision added the "Label Abort Request" message?

Thanks,
Jim
-- 
James R. Leu

---

From: Eric Gray <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 15:32:22 -0400

Jim,

    A pending label request for an old next hop and conservative label
retention could be considered to be the conditions that hold in NH.8
since these MUST be true if you have reached NH.8...

--
Eric Gray (mailto:[email-masked])
http://www.mindspring.com/~ewgray