Subject: Re: Basic LDP question...

From: "Chetan Pinto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:02:55 -0700

>Hi All,
>
>     I have one basic question in handling of label request message. LRq.2
>states that "Is there next hop for FEC ?". My question is what should be 
>the
>LSR behavior when there is next hop for FEC (as per routing module) but
>there is NO LDP session with the next hop node.
>
>    In such cases, should we consider ourself as EGRESS node and send Label
>Mapping to upstream node (for both independent and ordered case)?

Yeah, the node should act as a Proxy-Egress

>Or we
>should interpret this as a failure of LRq.2 and send Notification to the
>upstream node (again for both independent and ordered case) ?

No

>   Similarly, what should be LDP behavior when recognize new FEC procedure 
>is
>executed and there is NO LDP session with next hop node.
>Should we consider ourself as EGRESS node (till the time session with next
>hop is up)? Or we should consider ourself as "intermediate" node always, no
>matter session with next hop is up or down?

Again act as a proxy-egress

>   Thanks in advance.
>Regards
>Prashant.

_________________________________________________________________
Join the world’s largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. 
http://www.hotmail.com

---

From: "Nagabhushana Ramaswamy Nadig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:54:33 +0400 (RET)

Hi,
  I have a point regarding the Proxy-Egress case. Just the point that you
don't have a session with the next hop peer shouldn't make you behave as a
proxy egress. You should also have a knowledge of your switch
capabilities (may be by means of some configuration), whether it can do
the IP forwarding or not. Also it may be necessary to know apriori for
what prefixes I can act as proxy-egress. This becomes more significant an
issue in case of CR-LDP where just like that you can't become a proxy
egress and terminate the Constrained paths which may not satisfy the
required service guaranties.

regards
Bhushana