Subject: MPLS Management Overview

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:13:28 -0400

Hi,
A new version of the MPLS Management Overview has been posted.  I didn't see a
notification to the mail exploder, but I may have been sleeping.

Main changes are an increase in detail and a description of the inter-relation
between MIB modules, and between MIB tables.

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-mgmt-overview-02.txt

Adrian

---

From: "Zhu, Rupert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:22:01 -0500

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the info. This overview document is quite helpful.

One point to raise, though. In comparing TE-MIB (by te-wg) and
MPLS-TE-MIB (by mpls-wg), the document failed to point out that
the TE-MIB is structured better than the MPLS-TE-MIB.

Take a look at TE-MIB's structure.

http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-mib-02.txt

    Table Name                            # of Fields
    -------------------------------------------------
    teAdminGroupTable                         2
    teTunnelTable                            21
    tePathTable                              16
    tePathHopTable                            5
    -------------------------------------------------

The TE-MIB makes good distinction of "logical tunnel" from
underlying "path", and models the two distinct entity classes
with separate MIB tables.  In addition, the name of
"tePathHopTable" clearly indicates that "hop list" is a property
of "path" rather than "logical tunnel".  A very clean design.

In contrast, the current MPLS-TE-MIB lumps attributes of "logical
tunnel" together with attributes of underlying "path", and makes
a big, monolithic table ("mplsTunnelTable").  This approach is
problematic, IMHO.

Well, I do recognize the excellent achievement in putting together
the comprehensive MPLS-TE-MIB and appreciate the great effort by the
authors.  Just want to point out that it is not perfect, yet.

Regards,

Rupert Zhu

System Engineering
Santera Systems Inc.
972-461-6383 (TX, USA)

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Adrian Farrel [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 2:13 PM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: MPLS Management Overview
> 
> 
> Hi,

Adrian

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:33:19 -0400

>the TE-MIB is structured better than the MPLS-TE-MIB.

         Rupert, the point of the document IS NOT to
have a spitting match over which MIB you think is
better that which.  We had a nice one about a year and a half
ago. If you feel like doing such a comparison on your own
feel free.

         --Tom

>http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-mib-02.txt

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mathematics is the supreme nostalgia of our time.