Subject: LSR MIB - XCEntry

From: "Kannan S (Networking) - CTD, Chennai." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 16:23:15 +0530

Hi,

Can somebody tell me what I am missing here ?

I was wondering if makes sense to have 
mplsInSegmentXCIndex object in MplsInSegmentEntry as read-create and
remove the <mplsInSegmentIfIndex, mplsInSegmentLabel> from the mplsXCEntry
INDEX.

I am asking this because, 
In multiple insegment entries cross connected with one outsegment entry
case, it works fine.
if we use multiple outsegment entries, we need to create multiple cross
connect entries with all possible combinations, also provide administrative
control to enable / disable each of the combinations. 
Isnt it good enough to say - these are the InSegments that belong to the
<LSP/Crossconnect Index>, and these are the <OutLabelStack +
OutSegmentEntry> (XCEntries) entries for the <LSP / Crossconnect Index> ...
and let the LSR use whatever mechanism to choose which of the <OutLabel +
OutSegmentEntry> entries to use.

I am trying to reason out the rationale behind the current design ..

Is it because administrative control (disable / enable) is required at
various combinations / preclude certain combinations of In and Out segment
entries ?

Or is it this way because it is more readable ?

I understand we wont be able to call it XC , if we made the change.
I also understand that I could internally maintain it anyway, as long as I
am able to provide the interface.

TIA,
Kans.

---

From: "Thomas D. Nadeau" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 08:45:31 -0400

>control to enable / disable each of the combinations.

         Not necessarily. Have you considered using the same
XCIndex, mplsInSegmentIfIndex, mplsInSegmentLabel, but a
different outSegmentIndex?

>OutSegmentEntry> entries to use.

         I think that the indexing I showed above will satisfy this. Just 
disable
the XCentry (or entries) whose XCindex = the one used to group all segments
together.

>various combinations / preclude certain combinations of In and Out segment

         Admin control is given on the cross-connect because this
is what binds together (associates) the incoming label(s) with
the outgoing label(s).  If you have a multi-point to multi-point
LSP, you can quickly disable/enable it.

         --Tom

>am able to provide the interface.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mathematics is the supreme nostalgia of our time.