Subject: MplsBitRate inconsistently described in MPLS-TE and MPLS-TC MIBS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:03:48 -0400

I've listed below some inconsistencies that I came across in the MPLS-TE and
MPLS-TC MIBS. These issues may have been already been addressed here, if
that is the case please consider this a reminder to make the necessary
updates.

Thanks.
-patrick.

1. The TE MIB reads "bits per second" under UNITS for various objects that
use the "MplsBitRate" SYNTAX.
The TC MIB however says that it is in "1000 bits per second".
2. The description for mplsTunnelResourceMaxRate says that the values for
mplsTunnelResourceMaxRate, mplsTunnelResourceMeanRate and
mplsTunnelResourceMaxBurstSize can be set to 0 to indicate Best Effort
Treatment. If this is to be allowed then the range for MplsBitRate needs to
be corrected in the TC MIB, the range is currently "Integer32
(1..2147483647)".
3. The description for MplsBitRate in the TC MIB reads 
          "...If this object reports a value of 'n' then
          the rate of the object is somewhere in the range of
          'n-500' to 'n+499'..."
I think the last part should read 'n*1000-500' to 'n*1000+499' otherwise if
the object returns 1, then the object would be in the range of -499 to 500
which is wrong.

---------------------------------------------------------
Patrick Dominic-Savio    
Marconi Communications 
2000 Marconi Drive 1-155 
Warrendale, PA 15086

---

From: Joan Cucchiara <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:03:54 -0400

Hello Patrick,

These MIB drafts are currently being updated.
The MPLS-TE MIB will IMPORT the Textual Conventions(TCs) from
the MPLS-TC MIB.

Also, the inconsistencies you point out have been addressed
in the updates of the TC MIB and will be available in the
next draft of this MIB.

Thank you for your email!

-Joan