Subject: Re: RSVP-TE: How to use "Tunnel Sender Address"?

From: "Bin Zhou" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:10:40 -0400

Curtis,

I am trying to avoid proposing new field.
The best way to do so is learn the specification first.
Thanks for the help. 

Bin

> If you don't care about interoperability you can do anything you want.
> That assumes that you are implementing something rather than just
> commenting on what you think others should be implementing.
> 
> Maybe you are under the mistaken impression that standards precede
> implementation and therefore you can try to wedge something into an
> internet-draft and solely on that basis everyone will implement it?
> Absolutely not the case in the IETF (or elsewhere regarding anything
> Internet related since ITU, ISO, etc are largely ignored by the IP
> community except for their link layer work).
> 
> What is it that you are trying to accomplish?
> 
> Curtis

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 14:20:14 -0400

> The best way to do so is learn the specification first.

If you are implementing, you should pay close attention to how
existing routers use the fields, not just what is strictly legal to
put in them.  An implementation that "conforms" to a spec but cannot
interoperate is very close to useless.  Users demand interoperability
with incumants in their network and stress conformance much less.

Curtis