Subject: [mpls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Graceful Restart Mechanism for BGP with MPLS
	Author(s)	: Y. Rekhter, R. Aggarwal
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-05.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2005-8-16
	
A mechanism for BGP that helps minimize the negative effects on
   routing caused by BGP restart has already been developed an is
   described in a separate document ("Graceful Restart Mechanism for
   BGP"). This document extends this mechanism to also minimize the
   negative effects on MPLS forwarding caused by the Label Switching
   Router's (LSR's) control plane restart, and specifically by the
   restart of its BGP component when BGP is used to carry MPLS labels
   and the LSR is capable of preserving the MPLS forwarding state across
   the restart.

   The mechanism described in this document is agnostic with respect to
   the types of the addresses carried in the BGP Network Layer
   Reachability Information (NLRI) field. As such it works in
   conjunction with any of the address famililies that could be carried
   in BGP (e.g., IPv4, IPv6, etc...)

   The mechanism described in this document is applicable to all LSRs,
   both those with the ability to preserve their forwarding state during
   BGP restart and those without (although the latter need to implement
   only a subset of the mechanism described in this document).
   Supporting a subset of the mechanism described here by the LSRs that
   can not preserve their MPLS forwarding state across the restart would
   not reduce the negative impact on MPLS traffic caused by their
   control plane restart, but it would minimize the impact if their
   neighbor(s) are capable of preserving the forwarding state across the
   restart of their control plane and implement the mechanism described
   here.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-bgp-mpls-restart-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls