Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Definition of an RRO node-id subobject' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:18:44 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Definition of an RRO node-id subobject '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-nodeid-subobject-07.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alex Zinin and Bill Fenner.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-nodeid-subobject-07.txt

Technical Summary
 
 In the context of MPLS TE Fast Reroute, the Merge Point (MP) address is 
 required at the Point of Local Repair (PLR) in order to select a backup 
 tunnel intersecting a fast reroutable Traffic Engineering Label 
 Switched Path (TE LSP) on a downstream Label Switching Router (LSR).  
 However, existing protocol mechanisms are not sufficient to find an MP 
 address in multi-domain routing networks where a domain is defined as 
 an IGP area or an Autonomous System. Hence, the current MPLS Fast 
 Reroute mechanism cannot be used in order to protect inter-domain TE 
 LSPs from a failure of an ABR (Area Border Router) or ASBR (Autonomous 
 System Border Router) respectively. This document specifies the use of 
 existing Route Record Object (RRO) IPv4 and IPv6 sub-objects (with a 
 new flag defined) thus defining the node-id subobject in order to solve 
 this issue. The MPLS Fast reroute mechanism mentioned in this document 
 refers to the "Facility backup" MPLS TE Fast Reroute method. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
 There was consensus within the WG to progress this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 Alex Zinin reviewed this document for the IESG. There is at least one
 implementation of this specification.

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls