Subject: [mpls] "Advances in VPNs": Special Issue IEEE Comm. Mag.

From: "Fang, Luyuan, ALABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 15:19:15 -0500

Dear Colleagues,

The IEEE Communications Magazine has just approved the
publication of a Feature Topic 
issue on "Advances in Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)." The CFP
is attached below,

We invite those working in this area to consider sending in their
contributions. 
And, we appreciate your forwarding this CFP on to your colleagues
and associates.

If you intend to submit a paper for this special issue, please do
drop one of the 
Guest Editors a note, so that we can plan the special issue.

We look forward to your participation!

Best regards,
- Vishal, Nasir, and Luyuan

*****************************************************************
***************************
IEEE Communications Magazine Feature Topic on "Advances in
Virtual Private Networks?

VPN's have become one of the biggest success stories of the
recent years and related service offerings represent a key area
of expansion and revenue generation for new and incumbent service
providers worldwide.  This is particularly important given the
ongoing decline in legacy service revenues, such as long distance
voice, private line, etc.  Whether it be AT&T in the US, France
Telecom in Europe, BSNL in India, or NTT in Japan, each one of
these network providers is now offering managed VPN services to
both large and small and medium enterprise (SME) customers.  As
this market continues to expand, VPN paradigms are evolving to
deliver new levels of capability and attracting wider interest
from the academic research community.

Along these lines, the purpose of this special issue is to
present the IEEE Communications Magazine readership with the
latest advances in the overall VPN area, i.e., Layers 1-3.
Broadly, this will include issues pertaining to standards and
architectures, resource allocation/traffic engineering
algorithms, real-world deployment experiences, and emerging
challenges.  Indeed, these contemporary issues are of interest to
many in the networking community, including carriers providing
VPN services, standards organizations (IETF, ITU-T), and academic
researchers.  
In particular, some of the main topics include (but are not
necessarily limited to) the following:

* VPN standards for architectures and service models as developed
in the IETF and ITU-T.  Commensurate evolutions in networking
protocol and equipment requirements.
* Resource provisioning and QoS support schemes for Layers 1-3
VPN.  
Current state-of-the-art in QoS provisioning in IP/MPLS-based
carrier VPN services.
* VPN topology overlay design and traffic engineering
considerations.  
Multi-area/domain VPN design and issues.
* Routing and signalling protocols considerations for VPN.  
Related implementations in distributed, centralized, and hybrid
control environments along with scalability issues.
* VPN service survivability and reliability schemes for Layers 1,
2, and 3. 
Feasibility of dedicated and/or shared resource models.
* Security and operations management for Layer 1/2/3 VPN
services.  
Including topics such as authentication, encryption, key
management, control plane security.
* Infrastructure virtualization via Layer 1 VPN
(circuit-switched), comparisons with capabilities and scope of
Layer 2 and 3 VPN (packet switched) services.
* Business models for deploying VPN services and the experience
of enterprise customers and carriers in deploying the different
types of VPN services.  Comparisons versus traditional private
line services.
* Migration strategies between legacy Layer 2 VPN and IP/MPLS
Layer
3 VPN, including impacts and requirements for carriers and
end-user clients. 
* Current research developments in various aspects of VPN
development, analysis, and deployment.

Submission

Articles should be tutorial in nature and should be written in a
style comprehensible to readers outside the specialty of the
article. Articles may be edited for clarity and grammatical
accuracy, and will be copyedited according to the Magazine's
style. Mathematical equations should not be used (in justified
cases up to three 
simple equations could be allowed, provided there is consent of
the Guest 
Editor; more than three equations require permission from the
Editor-in-Chief). 
Articles should have no more than 4,500 words, no more than 6
tables/figures, 
and no more than 15 references. Guidelines for prospective
authors can be found 
on-line at http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/commag/sub_guidelines.html.
Please submit no 
later than 15 September 2006. Accepted papers will also be
included in 
Communications Interactive (CI), the online version of
Communications 
Magazine.

Manuscript Due:                      	15 September 2006
Acceptance Notification:      	      15 December 2006
Final Manuscript Due:           		31 January 2007
Publication Date:                   	April 2007

Guest Editors

Vishal Sharma, Metanoia, Inc. ([email-masked])
Nasir Ghani, Tennesse Tech. University ([email-masked])
Luyuan Fang, AT&T Labs. ([email-masked])

On-line version of this CFP:
http://www.metanoia-inc.com/AdvancesinVPNs_IEEECommMag_FT_CFP.htm

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls