Subject: [mpls] Questions for clarification on draft-ietf-mpls-mp-ldp-reqs-00

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:31:15 +0100

Authors and colleagues,

Having just read draft-ietf-mpls-mp-ldp-reqs-00 I have a couple of
questions for clarification.

Section 3.2 - Requirements overview
"The P2MP LDP mechanism MUST allow the arbitrary addition or removal of
leaves associated with a P2MP LSP."

What do you mean by arbitrary?  I assume you mean that once a P2MP LSP
is setup it must be possible to add additional leaves and prunes leaves
as required?

"The P2MP LDP mechanism MUST interoperate seamlessly with existing P2P
and MP2P LDP mechanisms."

What do you mean by interoperate?  I assume you mean that P2P, MP2P and
P2MP LDP mechanisms must be able to co-exist in the same network but the
P2MP LDP mechanism doesn't actually interoperate with P2P/MP2P LDP?  Or
do you mean that it should be possible for an LSR that doesn't 'speak'
P2MP LDP to be able to process and participate in P2MP LDP LSP setup
(obviously if it doesn't support P2MP LDP it won't be able to
replicate/branch traffic)?

Thanks
Ben

-- 
Ben Niven-Jenkins
Network Architect, BT Exact
  
E-mail: [email-masked] 
Office: +44 (0)1473 648225
Mobile: +44 (0)7918 077205
   Fax: +44 (0)1332 578827

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: Thomas Morin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:14:21 +0200

Hi Benjamin,

For both point your assumptions on the intended meaning are correct:
- "arbitrary" => in the sense of "free" / "without restriction"
- "interoperate" => coexist

We probably need to reformulate to avoid any confusion.

Cheers,

-Thomas