Subject: [mpls] draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-transport-01.txt

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:33:12 +0100

I just submitted draft-ietf-pwe3-mpls-transport-01.txt

This addresses the comments that we received during last call.
There are a couple of areas that still need work, but I thought that it
was appropriate to share it with the WGs at this stage to gather feedback
on how well it addresses the concerns raised at the LC.

The areas that I think need work are:

1) The references to BFD, which is waiting on a draft by Tom and Carlos
to describe running BFD over VCCV

2) The description of OAM  on the MPLS  PSN. We should say something
in the control plane present case. Do we need to say anything more
in the externally configured case.

There will be another version before the authors ask for a second WG LC,
meanwhile any review comments on the rest of the text will allow us
to move forward a little faster.

Regards

Stewart

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 08:47:00 -0400

Stewart,

Did you include any reference to our plans to produce a more general MPLS PW approach in the future, to remove the reliance on physical Ethernet ports and the Ethernet header in the data path?

Thanks,
Andy

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:54:06 +0100

> Did you include any reference to our plans to produce a more general MPLS PW approach in the future, to remove the reliance on physical Ethernet ports and the Ethernet header in the data path?

Here is an extract from the introduction.

The operator community has identified the need for the transparent
carriage of the MPLS network of one party over the MPLS network of
another party.  This document describes one IETF-recommended
mechanism to satisfy this requirement using the existing RFC4448
[RFC4448] PWE3 Ethernet pseudowire standard.  The mechanism described
here fulfills the requirements liaised to the IETF PWE3 working group
by the ITU: - [1]and [2].

The key purpose of this document is to demonstrate that there is an
existing IETF-recommended mechanism that satisfies the requirements
posed by the operator community.  It is recognised that it is
possible to design a more efficient method of satisfying the
requirement, and the IETF anticipates that improved solutions will be
proposed in the future.

If anyone knows how to do an electronic post I will do so the draft  can 
be seen today (pls unicast).

Stewart