Subject: [mpls] Re: review - draft-ietf-mpls-mpls-and-gmpls-security-framework-00.txt

From: Neil Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:07:49 +0100

Good Morning

Re: draft-ietf-mpls-mpls-and-gmpls-security-framework-00.txt

In Section 3, Security Reference Models (extract is shown below), it states
that the ASBR of the given AS is marked with a "B" in Figure 2.  Please
note that in Figure 2, none of the ASBRs shown are marked with a "B",
actually, it is the MPLS/GMPLS Network Provider that is identified with a
"B".

"In principle, the trusted zones should be separate; however,
   typically MPLS core networks also offer Internet access, in which
   case a transit point (marked with "XXX" in Figure 1) is defined. In
   the case of MPLS/GMPLS inter-provider connections, the trusted zone
   ends at the ASBR (marked with "B" in Figure 2) of the given AS or
   provider.
.
.
.
                +---------------+        +----------------+
                |               |        |                |
                | MPLS/GMPLS   ASBR1----ASBR3  MPLS/GMPLS |
          CE1--PE1   Network    |        |     Network   PE2--CE2
                | Provider A   ASBR2----ASBR4  Provider B |
                |               |        |                |
                +---------------+        +----------------+

   For Provider A:
        Trusted Zone: Provider A MPSL/GMPLS network
        Trusted neighbors: PE1, ASBR1, ASBR2
        Authorized but untrusted neighbor: provider B
        Unauthorized neighbors: CE1, CE2

   Figure 2. MPLS/GMPLS trusted zone and authorized neighbor."

Perhaps, for additional clarity, it might read as follows:

"In principle, the trusted zones should be separate; however,
   typically MPLS core networks also offer Internet access, in which
   case a transit point (marked with "XXX" in Figure 1) is defined. In
   the case of MPLS/GMPLS inter-provider connections, shown in Figure 2,
the trusted zone of each provider ends at their respective ASBRs (ASBR1 and
ASBR2 for Provider A, ASBR3 and ASBR4 for Provider B)."

Kind Regards
Neil Thomson

CSC Computer Sciences Limited
Registered Office: Royal Pavilion, Wellesley Road, Aldershot, Hampshire,
GU11 1PZ, UK
Registered in England No: 0963578

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in
delivery.
NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC to
any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written agreement
or government initiative expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such
purpose.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls

---

From: "Luyuan Fang \(lufang\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:01:48 -0400

Neil,

Thank you for your comments. Good catch. It is my oversight when making
some changes in the figure. Your suggested text is very good. We'll
reflect this change in the 01 version.

Thanks,
Luyuan

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Thomson [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 14 September 2007 04:08
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [mpls] Re: review
-draft-ietf-mpls-mpls-and-gmpls-security-framework-00.txt

Good Morning

In Section 3, Security Reference Models (extract is shown below), it
states that the ASBR of the given AS is marked with a "B" in Figure 2.
Please note that in Figure 2, none of the ASBRs shown are marked with a
"B", actually, it is the MPLS/GMPLS Network Provider that is identified
with a "B".

   For Provider A:

the trusted zone of each provider ends at their respective ASBRs (ASBR1
and

Kind Regards
Neil Thomson

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------

This is a PRIVATE message. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete without copying and kindly advise us by e-mail of the mistake in
delivery.
NOTE: Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind CSC
to any order or other contract unless pursuant to explicit written
agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail for such purpose.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------