Subject: [mpls] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-dasmith-mpls-ip-options-01

From: "David Smith (djsmith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 18:24:00 -0400

FYI.  This version incorporates feedback received from MPLS WG members.
We ask that this version (01) be adopted as a working group draft. 

/dave

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 6:14 PM
To: David Smith (djsmith)
Cc: [email-masked]; John Mullooly (jmullool); [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-dasmith-mpls-ip-options-01 

A new version of I-D, draft-dasmith-mpls-ip-options-01.txt has been
successfuly submitted by David Smith and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-dasmith-mpls-ip-options
Revision:	 01
Title:		 Requirements for Label Edge Router Forwarding of IPv4
Option Packets
Creation_date:	 2008-10-06
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 10

Abstract:
This document imposes a new requirement on Label Edge Routers (LER)
specifying that when determining whether to MPLS encapsulate an IP
packet, the determination is made independent of any IP options that may
be carried in the IP packet header.  Lack of a formal standard may
result in a different forwarding behavior for different IP packets
associated with the same prefix-based Forwarding Equivalence Class
(FEC).  While an IP packet with either a specific option type or no
header option may follow the MPLS label switched path (LSP) associated
with a prefix-based FEC, an IP packet with a different option type but
associated with the same prefix-based FEC may bypass MPLS encapsulation
and instead be IP routed downstream.  IP option packets that fail to be
MPLS encapsulated simply due to their header options present a security
risk against the MPLS infrastructure.

The IETF Secretariat.

_______________________________________________
mpls mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls