Subject: [mpls] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mpls-ip-options-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 20:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Requirements for Label Edge Router Forwarding of IPv4 Option Packets
	Author(s)       : W. Jaeger, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-ip-options-02.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2009-07-02

This document imposes a new requirement on Label Edge Routers (LER)
specifying that when determining whether to MPLS encapsulate an IP
packet, the determination is made independent of any IP options that
may be carried in the IP packet header.  Lack of a formal standard
has resulted in different LER forwarding behaviors for IP packets
with header options despite being associated with a prefix-based
Forwarding Equivalence Class (FEC).  IP option packets that belong to
a prefix-based FEC but fail to be MPLS encapsulated simply due to
their header options present a security risk against the MPLS
infrastructure. Further, LERs that are unable to MPLS encapsulate IP
packets with header options cannot operate in certain MPLS
environments. This new requirement will reduce the risk of IP
options-based security attacks against LSRs as well as assist LER
operation across MPLS networks which minimize the IP routing
information carried by LSRs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-ip-options-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.