Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'PathErr Message Triggered MPLS and GMPLS LSP Reroute' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:07:36 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'PathErr Message Triggered MPLS and GMPLS LSP Reroute '
   <draft-ietf-mpls-gmpls-lsp-reroute-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Ross Callon.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-gmpls-lsp-reroute-06.txt

Technical Summary

  This document describes how RSVP PathErr Messages may be used to 
  trigger rerouting of MPLS and GMPLS point-to-point TE-LSPs without
  first removing LSP state or resources. There are a number of cases
  where such rerouting is beneficial, e.g. soft-preemption and
  graceful shutdown. This document defines a new reroute-specific 
  error code to allow for future definition of reroute 
  application-specific error values.

Working Group Summary

  This document was produced by the WG to help resolve issues with
  draft-ietf-mpls-soft-preemption. There was a fair degree of support
  for the concepts of soft preemption and graceful shutdown, so the
  common pieces were removed from draft-ietf-mpls-soft-preemption and
  added to this document.

Document Quality

  There are currently no implementations of this work. We may assume 
  from the level of interest in graceful shutdown and soft preemption 
  that implementations are likely soon.

Personnel

  Loa Andersson is the Document Shepherd.
  Adrian Farrel is the Responsible Area Director.