Subject: [mpls] Need clarification on usage of Extended Tunnel ID in RSVP IPv4 LSP and RSVP IPv6 LSP Target FEC sub-TLVs in RFC 4379

From: Babu Subramani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 23:03:27 +0530

Hi,

As per section 4.6.1.1 in RFC 3209 - "RSVP-TE: Extensions to RSVP for
LSP Tunnels",

Extended Tunnel ID field can contain zero or sender address.

        "A 32-bit identifier used in the SESSION that remains constant
         over the life of the tunnel.  Normally set to all zeros.
         Ingress nodes that wish to narrow the scope of a SESSION to the
         ingress-egress pair may place their IPv4 address here as a
         globally unique identifier."

In Target FEC sub-TLVs defined for RSVP in RFC 4379, five tuples are
used to identify the
RSVP FEC which includes Extended Tunnel ID and Sender address.

The sub-TLV format is given below,

RSVP IPv4 LSP

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| 			IPv4 tunnel end point address	|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Must Be Zero 			| 	Tunnel ID 	|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| 			Extended Tunnel ID		|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|		IPv4 tunnel sender address		|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Must Be Zero 	| 		LSP ID		|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

RSVP IPv6 LSP

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| IPv6 tunnel end point address				|
|				 		|
| 						|
| 						|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Must Be Zero 			|	 Tunnel ID 	|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
|			 Extended Tunnel ID 		|
| 						|
| 						|
| 						|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| 		IPv6 tunnel sender address		|
| 						|
| 						|
| 						|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Must Be Zero 	| 		LSP ID 		|
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

What is real purpose of carrying the Extended Tunnel ID in sub-TLVs
which already contain sender address?

Could authors please clarify?

Thanks,
Babu