Subject: [mpls] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mpls-ip-options-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:00:04 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Requirements for Label Edge Router Forwarding of IPv4 Option Packets
	Author(s)       : W. Jaeger, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-ip-options-05.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2010-11-15

This document specifies how Label Edge Routers (LER) should behave
when determining whether to MPLS encapsulate an IP packet with header
options.  Lack of a formal standard has resulted in different LER
forwarding behaviors for IP packets with header options despite being
associated with a prefix-based Forwarding Equivalence Class (FEC).
IP option packets that belong to a prefix-based FEC yet are forwarded
into an IP/MPLS network without being MPLS-encapsulated present a
security risk against the MPLS infrastructure.  Further, LERs that 
are unable to MPLS encapsulate IP packets with header options cannot
operate in certain MPLS environments.  While this newly defined LER
behavior is mandatory to implement, it is optional to invoke.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mpls-ip-options-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.