Subject: [mpls] Fw: New Version Notification fordraft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlvs-registry-00.txt

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 20:40:38 +0000

LSP Ping, RFC4379, has been very successful and has evolved in ways in
which, perhaps, the original authors did not anticipate.  In particular,
RFC4379 set up a separate name space for the sub-TLVs of each TLV which
makes it awkward when a TLV wants to reuse sub-TLVs that have already
been defined for a pre-existing TLV.  The namespaces are large, huge
even, and, with the benefit of hindsight, a single namespace of sub-TLVs
would have been plenty large enough and would have allowed reuse without
any further consideration.

This I-D proposes that future allocations of sub-TLVs should be from a
single namespace, common to all TLVs, carved out of the existing range
(but not so far used).  Apart from that, the policies remain unaltered,
TLVs are allocated with the same considerations, and the division into
mandatory, optional and vendor private use remains the same.  Existing
sub-TLVs are unaltered (although it would be advantageous to define a
new one from the common namespace as and when an I-D wants to reuse one
of them).

Please take a look and comment.

Mach, Tom and Loa

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:00 PM
Subject: New Version Notification
fordraft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlvs-registry-00.txt

A new version of I-D,
draft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlvs-registry-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Loa Andersson and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename: draft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlvs-registry
Revision: 00
Title: "MPLS LSP Ping TLVs and sub-TLVs registry"
Creation date: 2013-02-16
Group: Individual Submission
Number of pages: 22
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub
-tlvs-registry-00.txt
Status:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlv
s-registry
Htmlized:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pac-mpls-lsp-ping-tlvs-and-sub-tlvs-reg
istry-00

Abstract:
   This document addresses issues with the structure, allocation
   policies and clarity in the use of the "TLVs and sub-TLVs" of the
   "Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switched Paths (LSPs)
   Ping Parameters" in the "Multiprotocol Label Switching Architecture
   (MPLS)" name space.

   This document does not change any existing allocations and the new
   structure is backwards compatible with the existing registries.

   The policy for the allocation of TLVs is unchanged but future
   allocations of sub-TLVs will come from a single namespace, common to
   all TLVs of LSP Ping Parameters.

The IETF Secretariat