Subject: [mpls] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6374 (4000)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 03:59:17 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6374,
"Packet Loss and Delay Measurement for MPLS Networks".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6374&eid=4000

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.5

Original Text
-------------
Upon receipt of a query message including an unrecognized mandatory 
TLV object, the recipient MUST respond with an Unsupported Mandatory 
TLV Object error code.

Corrected Text
--------------
In this specification an object that is classed as mandatory is 
one that the responder MUST either support or respond to indicating 
that it does not support. Thus upon receipt of a query message 
including an unrecognized mandatory TLV object, the recipient 
MUST respond with an Unsupported Mandatory TLV Object error 
code. Note that the term mandatory does not indicate mandatory 
to implement or mandatory to send.

Notes
-----
In discussion on the MPLS list there was concern about the meaning 
of the term "mandatory" in this RFC. The use of the term is 
somewhat unusual in an IETF context, but the quoted original 
text makes it clear that there is no requirement to implement 
mandatory objects, only to respond to the reception of one if 
it is not supported.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6374 (draft-ietf-mpls-loss-delay-04)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Packet Loss and Delay Measurement for MPLS Networks
Publication Date    : September 2011
Author(s)           : D. Frost, S. Bryant
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Multiprotocol Label Switching
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 14:57:15 +0200

Folks,

I think this errata is correct. Since I was the document shepherd
for RFC 6374 and Stewart is one of the authors, I don't think either
of should be part of verifying the Errata, which I think fall back to
Adrian.

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64