Subject: [mpls] [Errata Verified] RFC6374 (4000)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 07:18:02 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC6374,
"Packet Loss and Delay Measurement for MPLS Networks". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6374&eid=4000

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2014-05-27
Verified by: Alia Atlas (IESG)

Section: 3.5

Original Text
-------------
Upon receipt of a query message including an unrecognized mandatory 
TLV object, the recipient MUST respond with an Unsupported Mandatory 
TLV Object error code.

Corrected Text
--------------
In this specification an object that is classed as mandatory is 
one that the responder MUST either support or respond to indicating 
that it does not support. Thus upon receipt of a query message 
including an unrecognized mandatory TLV object, the recipient 
MUST respond with an Unsupported Mandatory TLV Object error 
code. Note that the term mandatory does not indicate mandatory 
to implement or mandatory to send.

Notes
-----
In discussion on the MPLS list there was concern about the meaning 
of the term "mandatory" in this RFC. The use of the term is 
somewhat unusual in an IETF context, but the quoted original 
text makes it clear that there is no requirement to implement 
mandatory objects, only to respond to the reception of one if 
it is not supported.

--------------------------------------
RFC6374 (draft-ietf-mpls-loss-delay-04)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Packet Loss and Delay Measurement for MPLS Networks
Publication Date    : September 2011
Author(s)           : D. Frost, S. Bryant
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Multiprotocol Label Switching
Area                : Routing
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG