Subject: [mpls] WG Review: Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 13:28:21 -0800

The Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls) working group in the Routing
Area of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not made any
determination yet. The following draft charter was submitted, and is
provided for informational purposes only. Please send your comments to
the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2014-12-02.

Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
  George Swallow <[email-masked]>
  Ross Callon <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mpls/

Charter:

The MPLS working group is responsible for standardizing 
technology for label switching and for the implementation of
label-switched paths over packet based link-level 
technologies.

The working group's responsibilities include procedures and 
protocols for the distribution of labels between Label Switching
Routers (LSRs), MPLS packet encapsulation, and for Operation,
Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) including the necessary 
management objects expressed as YANG models or MIB modules.

The current WG focus areas and work items are: 

- Maintain existing MPLS requirements, mechanisms, and protocols,
  as currently documented in RFCs, in coordination with other 
  working groups that work in overlapping areas including the
  BESS, BFD, CCAMP, OPSAWG, PALS, SPRING, and TEAS
  working groups.

- Evolve key MPLS protocols, including LDP, tLDP, mLDP, RSVP-TE
  for packet networks, and LSP Ping to meet new requirements.

- Document MPLS-specific aspects of traffic engineering including
  for multi-areas/multi-AS scenarios in cooperation with the TEAS 
  working group.

- Coordinate the work on RSVP-TE with CCAMP and TEAS. In the cases
  where there is an overlap, generic parts will be done by the TEAS
  working group, MPLS data plane specific parts will be done by the
  MPLS working group, and support for any other specific data planes
  will be done by the CCAMP working group. The TEAS working group acts
  as the hub for coordinating this work, and the MPLS working group 
  will track agreements about work to be done in this working group
  through milestones in this charter.

- Define data models for MPLS working group related solutions.
  YANG models and MIB modules may be considered. Coordinate with
  the LIME and NETMOD working groups for core YANG models.

- Define an overall OAM framework for topology-driven, traffic
  engineered, and transport profile MPLS applications.

- Define the necessary extensions for MPLS key protocols for dual-
  stack and IPv6-only networks.

- Document current implementation practices for MPLS load sharing.

- Document mechanisms for securing MPLS protocols and data plane.

- Document mechanisms for adding multi-topology support to existing
  MPLS protocols.

- Define the necessary protection protocols and scenarios for transport
  profile MPLS applications

- Document use cases for MPLS protocols.

Milestones:

TBD