Subject: [mpls] Pete Resnick's Block on charter-ietf-mpls-06-04: (with BLOCK and COMMENT)

From: "Pete Resnick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:29:32 -0800

Pete Resnick has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-mpls-06-04: Block

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-mpls/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
BLOCK:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

   - Coordinate the work on RSVP-TE with CCAMP and TEAS, and 
     document where the work will be undertaken. In the cases where
     there is an overlap, generic parts will be done by the TEAS working
     group, MPLS data plane specific parts will be done by the MPLS
     working group, and support for any other specific data planes will
     be done by the CCAMP working group. The TEAS working group acts as
     the coordination point for this work.

The first sentence and the last sentence of this bullet seem to
contradict each other: Does this group do the coordination, or does TEAS?
But even so, I'm a bit concerned by a WG coordinating work and
documenting where it will be undertaken. Are you really saying that the
WG has to come to consensus on where a particular piece of protocol work
is to be done and then document that decision? That seems like an awfully
bizzarre item of work. Please clarify.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

   The working group's responsibilities include procedures and protocols
   
What do you mean by "procedures"? Operational guidance?
   
   - Determine MPLS-specific aspects of traffic engineering including
     for multi-areas/multi-AS scenarios in cooperation with the TEAS 
     working group.

As with the CCAMP charter, I'm a bit mystified by the word "Determine"
here. What exactly does the WG do on this point?

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:00:45 -0000

I had some discussion with Pete about this on jabber.
The problem comes because it appears from the first sentence that the MPLS WG might be making decisions and documenting them outside the responsibility of TEAS to act as the focus for coordination.
Therefore, I propose the following modification...

  - Coordinate the work on RSVP-TE with CCAMP and TEAS. In the cases
    where there is an overlap, generic parts will be done by the TEAS
    working group, MPLS data plane specific parts will be done by the
    MPLS working group, and support for any other specific data planes
    will be done by the CCAMP working group. The TEAS working group acts
    as the focus for coordinating this work, and the MPLS working group 
    will note agreements about work to be done in this working group
    through milestones in this charter.

Adrian

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 15:05:08 -0600

>      through milestones in this charter.

I think we can get a better word than "focus" in that last sentence, 
but, even if we can't, this addresses the blocking portion of my comments.

pr

-- 
Pete Resnick<http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 21:23:04 -0000

> I think we can get a better word than "focus" in that last sentence,

Suggestions?
I have antipenumbrify, but that is probably not at the top of your list.

> but, even if we can't, this addresses the blocking portion of my comments.

Change not yet made.
I'm just letting this soak in case the WG comments.

A

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 17:14:41 -0500

"hub"?

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> mpls mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
>

---

From: Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:57:47 +0800

Adrian,

possibly nit picking, but ...

>      as the focus for coordinating this work, and the MPLS working group

OLD
>      through milestones in this charter.

NEW
        will track agreements about work to be done by the MPLS working
        group as milestones in the working group charter.

/Loa

-- 

Loa Andersson                        email: [email-masked]
Senior MPLS Expert                          [email-masked]
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 09:38:40 +0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Pete Resnick'" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; "'The IESG'"
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2014 9:23 PM
> I have antipenumbrify, but that is probably not at the top of your
list.

locus

Tom Petch

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:55:17 -0000

All changes made. Time to clear, Pete?

A

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Loa Andersson [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 25 November 2014 01:58
> To: [email-masked]; 'Pete Resnick'; 'The IESG'
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Pete Resnick's Block on charter-ietf-mpls-06-04: (with BLOCK and
> COMMENT)
> 
> Adrian,
> 
> > The problem comes because it appears from the first sentence that the MPLS
> WG might be making decisions and documenting them outside the responsibility
> of TEAS to act as the focus for coordination.

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 10:32:10 -0600

> All changes made. Time to clear, Pete?

As soon as I was awake and at the keyboard. Done.

pr