Subject: [mpls] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-mpls-06-08: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 09:40:39 -0800

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-mpls-06-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-mpls/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

To avoid any potential confusions with LIME, I would prefer:
OLD:

The working group's responsibilities include procedures and 
protocols for the distribution of labels between Label Switching
Routers (LSRs), MPLS packet encapsulation, and for Operation,
Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) including the necessary 
management objects expressed as YANG models or MIB modules.

NEW:

The working group's responsibilities include procedures and 
protocols for the distribution of labels between Label Switching
Routers (LSRs), for MPLS packet encapsulation, and for the related
Operation,
Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) including the necessary 
management objects expressed as YANG models or MIB modules.

One clarifying question (sorry I missed that one during the previous
review). I don't understand what the following mean:

- Define an overall OAM framework for topology-driven, traffic
  engineered, and transport profile MPLS applications.

What is an OAM "framework"? An architecture, a new (set of) protocol(s),
protocol extensions, something else?

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 12:11:09 -0000

Hi Benoit,

> management objects expressed as YANG models or MIB modules.

Took me a moment to figure your concern. I think you are worried that it appears
to say *all* OAM.

This now reads...

The working group's responsibilities include procedures and 
protocols for the distribution of labels between Label Switching
Routers (LSRs), MPLS packet encapsulation, and for Operation,
Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) for MPLS systems
including the necessary management objects expressed as
YANG models or MIB modules.

> protocol extensions, something else?

A bit clumsy, perhaps. But it is old text.

The objective is to achieve a common set of approaches and tools across the full
family of MPLS applications.

This now reads:

- Define an overall OAM framework for topology-driven, traffic
  engineered, and transport profile MPLS applications to achieve 
  a common set of approaches and tools across the full family of 
  MPLS applications.

Cheers,
Adrian

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:57:06 +0100

Thanks Adrian for taking care of my comments.

Regards, Benoit
> .