Subject: [mpls] WG Action: Rechartered Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 07:42:47 -0800

The Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls) working group in the Routing
Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information please
contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Multiprotocol Label Switching (mpls)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Loa Andersson <[email-masked]>
  George Swallow <[email-masked]>
  Ross Callon <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Tarek Saad <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mpls
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mpls/

Charter:

The MPLS working group is responsible for standardizing 
technology for label switching and for the implementation of
label-switched paths over packet based link-level 
technologies.

The working group's responsibilities include procedures and 
protocols for the distribution of labels between Label Switching
Routers (LSRs), MPLS packet encapsulation, and for Operation,
Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) for MPLS systems
including the necessary management objects expressed as
YANG models or MIB modules.

The current WG focus areas and work items are: 

- Maintain existing MPLS requirements, mechanisms, and protocols,
  as currently documented in RFCs, in coordination with other 
  working groups that work in overlapping areas including the
  BESS, BFD, CCAMP, OPSAWG, PALS, SPRING, and TEAS
  working groups.

- Evolve key MPLS protocols, including LDP, tLDP, mLDP, RSVP-TE
  for packet networks, and LSP Ping to meet new requirements.

- Document MPLS-specific aspects of traffic engineering including
  for multi-areas/multi-AS scenarios in cooperation with the TEAS 
  working group.

- Coordinate the work on RSVP-TE with CCAMP and TEAS. In the cases
  where there is an overlap, generic parts will be done by the TEAS
  working group, MPLS data plane specific parts will be done by the
  MPLS working group, and support for any other specific data planes
  will be done by the CCAMP working group. The TEAS working group acts
  as the hub for coordinating this work, and the MPLS working group 
  will track agreements about work to be done in this working group
  through milestones in this charter.

- Define data models for MPLS working group related solutions.
  YANG models and MIB modules may be considered. Coordinate with
  the LIME and NETMOD working groups for core YANG models.

- Define an overall OAM framework for topology-driven, traffic
  engineered, and transport profile MPLS applications to achieve 
  a common set of approaches and tools across the full family of 
  MPLS applications.

- Define the necessary extensions for MPLS key protocols for dual-
  stack and IPv6-only networks.

- Document current implementation practices for MPLS load sharing.

- Document mechanisms for securing MPLS protocols and data plane.

- Document mechanisms for adding multi-topology support to existing
  MPLS protocols.

- Define the necessary protection protocols and scenarios for transport
  profile MPLS applications

- Document use cases for MPLS protocols.

Milestones:
  Done     - Submit documents from original MPLS effort to IESG
  Done     - Framework for IP multicast over label-switched paths ready
for advancement.
  Done     - LDP fault tolerance specification ready for advancement to
Proposed Standard.
  Done     - Submit Definitions of Managed Objects for MultoiProtocol
Label Switching, Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) to the IESG for
publication as Proposed Standards
  Done     - Specification for MPLS-specific recovery ready for
advancement.
  Done     - Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Forward
Equivalency Class-To-Next Hop Label Forwarding Entry Management
Information Base to the IESG for publication as Proposed Standards
  Done     - Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Label Switching
Router (LSR), Management Information Base to the IESG for publication as
Proposed Standards
  Done     - Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Management
Overview to the IESG for publication as Proposed Standards
  Done     - Submit Definitions of Textual Conventions for Multiprotocol
Label Switching (MPLS) Management to the IESG for publication as Proposed
Standards
  Done     - Submit Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Traffic 
Engineering Management Information Base to the IESG for publication as
Proposed Standards
  Done     - Submit the Traffic Engineering Link MIB to the IESG for as a
Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit a specification on Encapsulations to carry MPLS over
IP and GRE to the IESG for as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit specification on LSP Ping to the IESG for publication
as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit a document defining the scope, requirements, and
issues to resolve for setup of P2MP TE LSPs (MPLS and GMPLS)
  Done     - Submit an OAM Framework Document to the IESG for publication
as an Informational RFC
  Done     - Submit a BCP on MPLS load sharing to the IESG
  Done     - Submit specification on LSR Self Test to the IESG for
publication as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit document(s) specifying protocol extensions,
enhancements and mechanisms for setup of P2MP TE LSPs
  Done     - Submit point to multipoint TE MIB to IESG as proposed
standard
  Done     - Submit EXP field clarification document to IESG as proposed
standard
  Done     - Submit a specification on Soft Pre-emption of LSP Tunnels to
the IESG for publication as a Proposed Standard
  Done     - Submit LDP extensions for P2MP LSPs
  Done     - Submit MPLS security framework for publication as an
informational RFC
  Done     - Submit requirements for point-to-multipoint extensions to
LDP
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-gtsm for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-itu-t-identifiers for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-entropy-label for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-security-framework for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-ipv6-pw-lsp-ping for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-signaling for
publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ethernet-addressing  for
publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-ring-protection for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-use-cases-and-design  for
publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-gach-adv  for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-retire-ach-tlv for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-mip-mep-map  for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-rosetta-stone  for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-dod  for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-return-path-specified-lsp-ping  for
publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-targeted-mldp for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-hsmp for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-p2mp-framework for publication
  Done     - draft-ietf-mpls-tp-psc-itu
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-moving-iana-registries for
publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-hello-crypto-auth for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-extended-admin-group for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-forwardig for publication
  Apr 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-in-udp for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-special-purpose-labels
  May 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ipv6  for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-applicability-label-adv  for
publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-ttl-tlv  for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-psc-updates for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-multi-topology for publication
  Jun 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-temporal-hitless-psm for
publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-ip-pw-capability for publication
  Aug 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-linear-protection-mib
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-smp-requirements for publication
  Sep 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-egress-protection for
publication
  Sep 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-ingress-protection for
publication
  Sep 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-te-hsmp-lsp
  Sep 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-te-express-path
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-deprecate-bgp-entropy-label for
publication
  Oct 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-seamless-mpls for publication
  Oct 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-node-protection for publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-mldp-in-band-wildcard-encoding for
publication
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-pim-sm-over-mldp
  Nov 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply for publication
  Dec 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-oam-id-mib for publication
  Dec 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-tp-te-mib for publication
  Dec 2014 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-seamless-mcast for publication
  Jan 2015 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-proxy-lsp-ping fpr publication
  Jan 2015 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-p2mp-loose-path-reopt for
publicatiion
  Jan 2015 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-reply-mode-simple for
publication
  Jan 2015 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-rfc6374-udp-return-path for
publicatiion
  Done     - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-ipv6-only-gap for publication
  Jan 2015 - Submit draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-registry for publication