Subject: [mpls] Benoit Claise's No Objection on draft-ietf-mpls-self-ping-05: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 00:28:58 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mpls-self-ping-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-self-ping/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Did the WG consider updating RF C3209?

OLD:

   The node SHOULD be prepared to
   forward packets carrying the assigned label prior to sending the RESV
   message.

NEW:

   The node SHOULD be prepared to
   forward packets carrying the assigned label prior to sending the RESV
   message. When an ingress LSR receives an RESV message, it
MAY/SHOULD/MUST 
   invoke the LSP Self-ping procedures [this-RFC-to-be] to verify
   that forwarding state has been installed on all downstream nodes.

---

From: Ronald Bonica <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:49:56 +0000

Benoit,

RFC 6383 addresses the issue, but falls short of updating RFC 3209. If instructed to do so by the WG, I would be glad to write a very short draft that updates 3209.

Maybe we should spin up a new email thread to discuss this.

                                                         Ron