Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Relayed Echo Reply mechanism for LSP Ping' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 15:09:19 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Relayed Echo Reply mechanism for LSP Ping'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-lsp-ping-relay-reply/

Technical Summary

   In some inter autonomous system (AS) and inter-area deployment
   scenarios for RFC 4379 "Label Switched Path (LSP) Ping and
   Traceroute", a replying LSR might not have an available route to the
   initiator, and the Echo Reply message sent to the initiator would be
   discarded resulting in false negatives or complete failure of
   operation of LSP Ping and Traceroute.  This document describes
   extensions to LSP Ping mechanism to enable the replying Label
   Switching Router (LSR) to have the capability to relay the Echo
   Response by a set of routable intermediate nodes to the initiator.
   This document updates RFC 4379 by adding those extensions.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing out of the ordinary.

Document Quality

   We know of implementations and deployments of this specification.
   We also have indications that vendors have plans to implement.

Personnel

   Loa Andersson is the document Shepherd
   Deborah Brungard is the responsible AD