Subject: [mpls] RFC 7746 on Label Switched Path (LSP) Self-Ping

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 18:04:06 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7746

        Title:      Label Switched Path (LSP) Self-Ping 
        Author:     R. Bonica, I. Minei,
                    M. Conn, D. Pacella, L. Tomotaki
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       January 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Characters: 25146
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-self-ping-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7746

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7746

When certain RSVP-TE optimizations are implemented, ingress Label
Switching Router (LSRs) can receive RSVP RESV messages before
forwarding state has been installed on all downstream nodes.
According to the RSVP-TE specification, the ingress LSR can forward
traffic through a Label Switched Path (LSP) as soon as it receives a
RESV message.  However, if the ingress LSR forwards traffic through
the LSP before forwarding state has been installed on all downstream
nodes, traffic can be lost.

This document describes LSP Self-ping.  When an ingress LSR receives
an RESV message, it can invoke LSP Self-ping procedures to ensure
that forwarding state has been installed on all downstream nodes.

LSP Self-ping is a new protocol.  It is not an extension of LSP Ping.
Although LSP Ping and LSP Self-ping are named similarly, each is
designed for a unique purpose.  Each protocol listens on its own UDP
port and executes its own procedures.

LSP Self-ping is an extremely lightweight mechanism.  It does not
consume control-plane resources on transit or egress LSRs.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC