Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Detecting Multi-Protocol Label Switched (MPLS) Data Plane Failures' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-rfc4379bis-09.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 12:54:18 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Detecting Multi-Protocol Label Switched (MPLS) Data Plane Failures'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-rfc4379bis-09.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-rfc4379bis/

Technical Summary

The document specifies an efficient mechanism to detect data plane
failures in MPLS data plane failures, i.e. failures of an LSPs.  
The specification consists of two parts:
  - information carried in an MPLS "echo request" and "echo reply"
    for the purposes of fault detection and isolation
  - mechanisms for reliably sending the echo reply messages.

Working Group Summary

This has been a major work performed by a dedicated to team and
the work has regularly been reported in f2f meetings and on the
working group mailing list.

There is a wide spread recognition that there is a need to 
consolidate the LSP Ping specification (a widely deployed 
technology) into a smaller number of documents.

The support for publishing this document is solid.

Document Quality

RFC 4379 is one of the most widely implemented and deployed MPLS
specifications, the documents that are being obsoleted are also
widely implemented and well deployed.

No specific reviews, other than what has been done within the 
working group, are necessary.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Loa Andersson
   Who is the Responsible Area Director? Deborah Brungard