Subject: [mpls] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 04:09:46 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG of the IETF.

        Title           : An MPLS-Based Forwarding Plane for Service Function Chaining
        Authors         : Adrian Farrel
                          Stewart Bryant
                          John Drake
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-05.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2019-02-12

Abstract:
   Service Function Chaining (SFC) is the process of directing packets
   through a network so that they can be acted on by an ordered set of
   abstract service functions before being delivered to the intended
   destination.  An architecture for SFC is defined in RFC7665.

   The Network Service Header (NSH) can be inserted into packets to
   steer them along a specific path to realize a Service Function Chain.

   Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) is a widely deployed forwarding
   technology that uses labels placed in a packet in a label stack to
   identify the forwarding actions to be taken at each hop through a
   network.  Actions may include swapping or popping the labels as well,
   as using the labels to determine the next hop for forwarding the
   packet.  Labels may also be used to establish the context under which
   the packet is forwarded.

   This document describes how Service Function Chaining can be achieved
   in an MPLS network by means of a logical representation of the NSH in
   an MPLS label stack.  That is, the NSH is not used, but the fields of
   the NSH are mapped to fields in the MPLS label stack.  It does not
   deprecate or replace the NSH, but acknowledges that there may be a
   need for an interim deployment of SFC functionality in brownfield
   networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-sfc/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 12:13:55 -0000

Deborah, All,

I made some updates, principally to the Security Considerations, as a result
of comments received during IETF last call.

I believe I captured everything.

Thanks,
Adrian

-----Original Message-----
From: I-D-Announce <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: 12 February 2019 12:10
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-05.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG of the
IETF.

        Title           : An MPLS-Based Forwarding Plane for Service
Function Chaining
        Authors         : Adrian Farrel
                          Stewart Bryant
                          John Drake
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mpls-sfc-05.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2019-02-12