Subject: [mpls] RFC 8577 on Signaling RSVP-TE Tunnels on a Shared MPLS Forwarding Plane

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 22:26:41 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8577

        Title:      Signaling RSVP-TE Tunnels on a 
                    Shared MPLS Forwarding Plane 
        Author:     H. Sitaraman,
                    V. Beeram,
                    T. Parikh,
                    T. Saad
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2019
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      24
        Characters: 50113
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-shared-labels-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8577

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8577

As the scale of MPLS RSVP-TE networks has grown, the number of Label
Switched Paths (LSPs) supported by individual network elements has
increased.  Various implementation recommendations have been proposed
to manage the resulting increase in the amount of control-plane state
information.

However, those changes have had no effect on the number of labels
that a transit Label Switching Router (LSR) has to support in the
forwarding plane.  That number is governed by the number of LSPs
transiting or terminated at the LSR and is directly related to the
total LSP state in the control plane.

This document defines a mechanism to prevent the maximum size of the
label space limit on an LSR from being a constraint to control-plane
scaling on that node.  It introduces the notion of preinstalled
'per-TE link labels' that can be shared by MPLS RSVP-TE LSPs that
traverse these TE links.  This approach significantly reduces the
forwarding-plane state required to support a large number of LSPs.
This couples the feature benefits of the RSVP-TE control plane with
the simplicity of the Segment Routing (SR) MPLS forwarding plane.

This document is a product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC