Subject: [mpls] Last Call: <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang-06.txt> (YANG Data Model for MPLS LDP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:12:14 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG
(mpls) to consider the following document: - 'YANG Data Model for MPLS LDP'
  <draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang-06.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-10-04. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a YANG data model for Multi-Protocol Label
   Switching (MPLS) Label Distribution Protocol (LDP).  The model also
   serves as the base model to define Multipoint LDP (mLDP) model.

   The YANG modules in this document conform to the Network Management
   Datastore Architecture (NMDA).

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-yang/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: tom petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 20:48:21 +0000

s.5.2.1.1

this document recommends an operator to
   pick a routable IPv4 unicast address as an LSR Id.

I find problematic.  The YANG module has
           leaf lsr-id {
             type rt-types:router-id;
and this type is dotted quad and rightly so, since well regarded lsr
protocols have router id as a 32-bit number with no semantics i.e. this
is recommending (albeit in lower case) a paradigm shift from 32-bit
number to an IP address..

TE has come to terms with this and specifies a separate TE router-id
which is a routable IP address, v4 or v6.

I think that what this I-D has is wrong.  Perhaps it needs to do as TE
has done and separate the concepts of an ID for the router and an
address with which to access the router.

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "The IESG" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2019 10:12 PM