Subject: [mpls] Protocol Action: 'Synonymous Flow Label Framework' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-mpls-sfl-framework-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 15:28:23 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Synonymous Flow Label Framework'
  (draft-ietf-mpls-sfl-framework-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiprotocol Label Switching Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-sfl-framework/

Technical Summary

RFC 8372 (MPLS Flow Identification Considerations) describes the
requirement for introducing flow identities within the MPLS
architecture.  This document describes a method of accomplishing this
by using a technique called Synonymous Flow Labels in which labels
which mimic the behaviour of other labels provide the identification
service.  These identifiers can be used to trigger per-flow
operations on the packet at the receiving label switching router.

Working Group Summary

The Working Group has reached consensus that this document is useful
and should be published This document went through multiple reviews
within the working group over the course of its development. The techniques
defined in this document are useful in several applications, such as the
measurement of the number of received packets in a flow for performance
monitoring, triggering IPFIX inspection, triggering other types of Deep Packet
Inspection, or identification of the packet source. 

Document Quality

Review was done by MPLS review-team (MPLS-RT) and from several
members of the WG. All comments have been addressed, and there are
currently no open issues.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Tarek Saad
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard