Subject: Re: [Mtgvenue] Interim step on meetings site feedback for sites currently under active consideration

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 19:50:32 +0000 (UTC)

>>But
>> I think these issues should be balanced with the overall benefit
>> that the IETF World Tour provides.

>As I've said repeatedly, I don't think the world tour actually
>does bring much benefit.  I'm very hopeful that some of the
>South Americans who attended their first IETF meeting because
>it was held in Buenos Aires will continue to participate (as in:
>bring in work and participate in ongoing work, and not as in: sit
>in meetings) but historically that has not been the case. 
 
Just to put some numbers into this conversation, we have 8 people from Latin America who have signed up to be a part of the Internet Draft Review teams.   The first review team to form will likely be the Spanish-speaking DNSOP review team.
This is one week after IETF 95 and after 3 days of soliciting review teams and basically zero publicity.
I wonder if there has not been more participation in active IETF work before from other regions because there was no structured way to start participating and language insensitivity.  (BTW, there is a new member of the Mentoring Team from Latin America, that I met in Buenos Aires who will translate the Mentoring emails into Spanish.)
But the effort of the Mentoring Team is standing on the shoulders of giants.  People such as Carlos Martinez, Christian O'Flaherty, Alvaro Retana, Dr. Juliao Braga, and many others who have done such a tremendous job of outreach to their community in Latin America.
So, let's do some changing of history.
Nalini

---

From: Corinne Cath <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 09:48:41 +0100

Dear all,

Just a quick question: are you intending on providing feedback to the IAOC?
If so, maybe it makes sense to coordinate a bit in order to prevent a
duplication of entries? Or will it be useful if multiple people point out
the same themes?

Best,

Corinne

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 8:50 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Just to put some numbers into this conversation, we have 8 people from
> Latin America who have signed up to be a part of the Internet Draft Review
> teams.   The first review team to form will likely be the Spanish-speaking
> DNSOP review team.
>
> I wonder if there has not been more participation in active IETF work
> before from other regions because there was no structured way to start
> participating and language insensitivity.  (BTW, there is a new member of
> the Mentoring Team from Latin America, that I met in Buenos Aires who will
> translate the Mentoring emails into Spanish.)
>
> But the effort of the Mentoring Team is standing on the shoulders of
> giants.  People such as Carlos Martinez, Christian O'Flaherty, Alvaro
> Retana, Dr. Juliao Braga, and many others who have done such a tremendous
> job of outreach to their community in Latin America.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mtgvenue mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mtgvenue
>
>

---

From: Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2016 08:02:12 -0400

The IETF has a very strong tradition of commenting at length on the topic
at hand and hoping either that IETF leadership will spend the time to
review the whole thread and extract the salient points from it, or give up
in despair.   So what you are seeing here is very much the IETF tradition.
  Asking people to do better probably won't work, although it never hurts
to try.

I personally see this as a tools problem, more than a communications
problem--we need better tools to track the points being made in discussions
so that either the people discussing can see that they don't need to make a
particular point again, or at least that the people tracking the discussion
can see that the point has already been made.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 4:48 AM, Corinne Cath <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Just a quick question: are you intending on providing feedback to the
> IAOC? If so, maybe it makes sense to coordinate a bit in order to prevent a

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:08:37 +0200

I think the tool is that each discussion needs a chair and each chair is
responsible for getting value from any discussion/list/meeting. IETF needs
to look into our chairs or create more.

AB