Subject: [Mtgvenue] notes on draft-krishnan-ietf-meeting-policy-00

From: Niels ten Oever <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 11:09:49 +0200

Hi all,

Am new to this list, so sorry if I am repeating things that have already
been said. Here are some concrete nits to
draft-krishnan-ietf-meeting-policy-00:

1.
   The work of the IETF is primarily conducted on the working group
   mailing lists, while face-to-face WG meetings mainly provide a high
   bandwidth mechanism for working out unresolved issues.

Suggest removing 'mainly' from this sentence

2.
The IETF
   currently strives to have a 1-1-1-* meeting policy [IETFMEET]where
   the goal is to distribute the meetings equally between North America,
   Europe, and Asia that are the locations most of the IETF participants
   have come from in the recent past.

This sentence should be divided into three parts:

The IETF currently strives to implement its 1-1-1-* meeting policy
[IETFMEET].

The goal is to distribute the meetings equally between North America,
Europe, and Asia.

These are the locations most of the IETF participants
have come from in the recent past.

3.
I do have an issue with the last formulation above, since it is a bit
unclear what is the chicken, and what is the egg. It seems to give a
rationale for the 1-1-1-*  approach (namely that most participants come
from North-America, Europea and Asia), but that for instance would not
explain why we did last meeting in LATAM. My only point is that there
are also other reasons to organize meetings somewhere (for which the
wildcard can be use of course), it's probably good to mention them.

Further down in the next para it is claimed that the rotation is done to
distribute travel pain, is this the sole reason for doing this?

4.
   Given that the majority of the current participants come from North
   America, Europe, and Asia [CONT-DIST], the IETF policy is that our
   meetings should primarily be in those regions. i.e., the meeting
   policy (let's call this the "1-1-1" policy) is that meetings should
   rotate between North America, Europe, and Asia.

This is a circular argument, and a repetition from the previous point.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Niels

-- 
Niels ten Oever
Head of Digital

Article 19
www.article19.org

PGP fingerprint    8D9F C567 BEE4 A431 56C4
                   678B 08B5 A0F2 636D 68E9