Subject: [Mtgvenue] Issue 17: 5.5 final check

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 09:23:33 +0200

I have attempted to go some ways toward what Alissa has said, while at
the same time recognizing that Stuff happens.  This leaves open the door
for further work, while (hopefully succinctly) capturing what I believe
to be existing practice.  Key points:

  * Inform the community when the situation changes re both Mandatory
    AND Important changes.  This keeps us in line with the plain meaning
    of the terms.
  * Where practicable, consult the community as to whether a change
    should be made.
  * Ultimate decision remains with IAOC
  * Normative language

NEW:

>         If at any time after a contract is signed the IAOC learns
>         where a Venue's circumstances have significantly changed, such
>         that the Important or Mandatory criteria can no longer be met,
>         the IAOC MUST reconsider the selection.  A description of how
>         reconsideration currently takes place is found in
>         <xref target="flowchart"/>.  The IAOC will gauge the cost of
>         making a change against the ability of the IETF to conclude a
>         successful meeting, and make a final determination based on
>         their best judgment. When there is enough time to do so, the IAOC
>         MUST consult the community about changes.

This, then, is the exception process.

I think if we cannot reasonably agree on this change or something close
too it, we should remove the section, as Alissa suggests, in order to
close this document, and then I will make clear that the scope of the
effort is solely prior to contract signing.  But as I wrote, I do think
the above is current practice, and we could save some time if we just
said what it is.