Subject: [Mtgvenue] Cite IASA not IAOC (issue 20)

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 08:44:29 +1200

Hi,

draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-07 is looking much
closer to done. However, it opens thus:

   The IAOC has responsibility for arranging IETF plenary meeting venue
   selection and operation.

That statement directly contradicts BCP 101 (RFC 4071), which says

   The IAOC's role is to provide appropriate direction to the IAD, to
   review the IAD's regular reports, and to oversee IASA functions to
   ensure that the administrative needs of the IETF community are being
   properly met.  The IAOC's mission is not to be engaged in the day-
   to-day administrative work of the IASA, but rather to provide
   appropriate direction, oversight, and approval.

Discussion of that definition belongs in the IASA 2.0 debate, not here.
But it makes it plain that the venue selection draft should provide
guidance to IASA as a whole, not to the IAOC. So it should start thus:

   The IASA has responsibility for arranging IETF plenary meeting venue
   selection and operation.

Most of the document will be fine with s/IAOC/IASA/, except for the
URLs. There are some places where minor rephrasing is needed
(see ** below for an initial set of changes).

It's out of scope for this WG to comment on IASA internal organization
and the fact that the IAOC may be deviating from its mandate by performing
executive functions rather than oversight functions. I suggest not debating
that here.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

**

1.  Introduction
...
OLD
   It remains the responsibility of the IAOC to apply their best
   judgment.  The IAOC accepts input and feedback both during the
   consultation process and later (for instance when there are changes
   in the situation at a chosen location).  Any appeals remain subject
   to the provisions of BCP101 [RFC4071].  As always, the community is
   encouraged to provide direct feedback to the NOMCOM, IESG, and IAB
   regarding the discharge of the IAOC's performance.
NEW
   It remains the responsibility of the IASA to apply its best
   judgment.  The IASA accepts input and feedback both during the
   consultation process and later (for instance when there are changes
   in the situation at a chosen location).  Since the IASA is overseen
   by the IAOC, any appeals remain subject
   to the provisions of BCP101 [RFC4071].  As always, the community is
   encouraged to provide direct feedback to the NOMCOM, IESG, and IAB
   regarding the discharge of the IAOC's performance.

4.2.  IESG and IETF Chair
...
NO CHANGE:
   The IETF Chair, among other things, relays
   these IESG-determined policies to the IAOC.  The IETF Chair is also a
   member of the IAOC.

4.4.  IETF Administrative Oversight Committee

OLD
   The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) has the
   responsibility to oversee and select IETF meeting venues.  It
   instructs the IAD to work with the Internet Society to write the
   relevant contracts.  It approves the IETF meetings calendar.  In
   cooperation with the IAD, the IAOC takes necessary actions to ensure
   that it is aware of participant concerns about particular venues as
   early in the process as is feasible.

NEW
   The IETF Administrative Oversight Committee (IAOC) has the
   responsibility to oversee and approve the selection of IETF meeting venues.  It
   instructs the IAD to work with the Internet Society to write the
   relevant contracts.  It approves the IETF meetings calendar.  In
   cooperation with the IAD, the IAOC takes necessary actions to ensure
   that IASA is aware of participant concerns about particular venues as
   early in the process as is feasible.

4.5.  IETF Administrative Support Activity

OLD
   The IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA) supports the meeting
   selection process.  This includes identifying, qualifying and
   reporting on potential meeting sites, as well as supporting meeting
   Venue contract negotiation.  The IETF Secretariat is part of the IASA
   under the management of the IAD.  The IAD takes appropriate actions
   to solicit community input regarding both retrospective and
   prospective feedback from participants.

NEW
   The IETF Administrative Support Activity (IASA) performs the meeting
   selection process under the oversight of the IAOC.  This includes identifying, qualifying and
   reporting on potential meeting sites, as well as supporting meeting
   Venue contract negotiation.  The IETF Secretariat is part of the IASA
   under the management of the IAD.  The IAD takes appropriate actions
   to solicit community input regarding both retrospective and
   prospective feedback from participants.

OLD
4.7.  IAOC Meeting Committee
...
   Membership in the Meetings Committee is at the discretion of the
   IAOC; it includes an IAOC appointed chair, the IETF Administrative
   Director (IAD), IAOC members, representatives from the Secretariat,
   and interested members of the community.

NEW
4.7.  IASA Meetings Committee
...
   Membership in the Meetings Committee is approved by the
   IAOC; it includes an IAOC approved chair, the IETF Administrative
   Director (IAD), IAOC members, representatives from the Secretariat,
   and interested members of the community.