Subject: Re: [Mtgvenue] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process-08.txt

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2017 14:10:26 -0500

On 24 Jul 2017, at 9:35, Eliot Lear wrote:

> In addition, the chairs have directed that a contributors section be 
> created, and authors moved to that section.  Dave Crocker has 
> requested that he not be listed in that section, but in 
> Acknowledgments instead.

Just by way of explanation on this bit:

As you may know, the "Author's Address" section of document is defined 
in RFC 7322 to be used for 3 (non-separable) purposes: (1) To list the 
authors and/or editors of the document; (2) To indicate the names that 
will appear on the first page of the document; and (3) To indicate who 
must consent to publication in the RFC Editor AUTH48 stage. The chairs 
were most concerned about (3), because we would really prefer to have 
the assigned WG document editor be the only one on the hook for AUTH48. 
However, for this document (2) was also a problem: If there are more 
than five listed authors, the IESG has to sign off on allowing it, and 
they have been reluctant to do so. The chairs spoke to all of the listed 
authors, and they were willing to appear in the Contributors section, 
which 7322 created for this purpose.

The above state of affairs is problematic on several levels. Most 
importantly, it would be nice if at least those listed for citation in 
the RFC Editor and Datatracker indexes, those who appear on the front 
page, and those who are contacted for AUTH48 were 3 independent items. 
Completely by coincidence, due to another document in similar 
circumstances, the IESG has recently begun discussing this matter. I 
chatted with a few ADs last week in Prague, and I'm hoping that they 
come up with a reasonable resolution before we actually go for 
publication and make this whole thing moot.

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478