Subject: [Mtgvenue] Martin Vigoureux's Yes on draft-ietf-mtgvenue-meeting-policy-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 07:00:03 -0700

Martin Vigoureux has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-mtgvenue-meeting-policy-06: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mtgvenue-meeting-policy/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am not sure to understand what that sentence means (might simply because I'm
not a native English reader):
   The exploratory meeting proposals will be initiated based on
   community consent.

If the proposals are *initiated* based on community consent, what has the
community effectively consented to?

Thank you

Martin

---

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2018 05:38:12 +0000

Hi Martin,
  Thanks for the comment. Please find response inline.

> On Jun 5, 2018, at 10:00 AM, Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

The intent was that the community has consented to the IESG to take further steps (go and ask the IASA) to determine if the proposal can be realistically implemented. I do have a text change suggestion based on a comment I resolved during IETF Last call. Does the following rewording clarify things?

OLD:
   The exploratory meeting proposals will be initiated based on
   community consent.  After such a proposal is initiated the IESG will
   make a decision in consultation with the Internet Administrative
   Support Activity (IASA) to ensure that the proposal can be
   realistically implemented. 

NEW:
   The timing and frequency of future exploratory meetings will be based
   on IETF consensus as determined by the IETF chair. Once a meeting 
   proposal is initiated, the IESG will make a decision in consultation with 
   the Internet Administrative Support Activity (IASA) to ensure that the 
   proposal can be realistically implemented. 

And I will also remove the first sentence “The timing…” from the end of the section since it will become redundant.

Thanks
Suresh

---

From: Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 01:19:35 +0200

Hello Suresh,

thanks for your feedback.
I could live with the new text, but I am still a bit unclear on how 
things would work (and I think that somehow echoes Alvaro's question).
Who initiates the idea and how?
Is it the community saying to TBD: "we want to go to Sydney"
Is it IASA/IETF Chair/IESG/... which asks the community: "do you want to 
go Sydney?"

Thanks
-m