Subject: [multipathtcp] Update of draft-scharf-mptcp-mctcp

From: "SCHARF, Michael" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 17:20:55 +0200

Dear all,

I tried to address some of the on- and off-list comments that I received
last week.

The -01 version mainly includes a couple of (last-minute) clarifications
how MCTCP would deal with certain situations:

 - Addition of a checksum in data chunk messages, in order to improve
the detection of certain middleboxes

 - Definition of a message to request retransmission, instead of a
session-level positive acknowledgements

 - Description of how to fall back to single-connection mode, again to
deal with certain middleboxes

 - Discussion of proactively acking middleboxes, which have not been
mentioned in the -00 version

I also tried to improve the text that explains why MCTCP does not use
options if they can be avoided. The draft also sketches a simple
scenario in which MCTCP would apparently continue to work, whereas a
protocol relying only on option encoding would probably fail (according
to my incomplete understanding of the fallback possibilities; please let
me know if I am wrong).

Thanks for the feedback!

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 2:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-scharf-mptcp-mctcp-01.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Multi-Connection TCP (MCTCP) Transport
	Author(s)       : M. Scharf
	Filename        : draft-scharf-mptcp-mctcp-01.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2010-07-12

Multipath transport over potentially different paths can be realized by
several coupled Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) connections.
Multi-Connection TCP (MCTCP) transport aggregates multiple TCP
connections between potentially different addresses into a single
session that can be accessed by an application like a single TCP
connection.  MCTCP encodes control information, as far as possible, in
the payload of the TCP connections and therefore requires only minor
changes in the TCP implementations, and it is transparent in the
single-path case.  MCTCP is therefore proposed as a simple, modular, and
extensible mechanism for multipath transport.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-scharf-mptcp-mctcp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.