Subject: [multipathtcp] Linux MPTCP v0.4 released

From: Sébastien Barré <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:35:54 +0100

Hi all,

I am happy to announce that the MPTCP implementation for the Linux 
kernel, version 0.4, is released.

The summary of changes is:

    * Major architectural changes:
          o Changed send buffer strategy. Previously we used a
            per-subflow send buffer. We now use a shared send buffer, so
            as to better schedule data.
          o As a consequence of the previous change, the MSS is now
            shared by all subflows, it can be set through a system-wide
            variable /proc/sys/net/mptcp/mptcp_mss
          o At the receiving side, release 0.3 used a pull data model,
            where the application lazily pulled data from the subflow
            receive queues when asked by the application only. We now
            use a push model where the data is reordered at the
            connection level as soon as it becomes in-order at the
            subflow level. Hence, subflow-level receive queues are not
            used anymore. This allows better management of the available
            receive buffer, and receive window advertisement.
    * Data acks are implemented. They are necessary for proper receive
      window announcements.
    * Data FINs are implemented, and connection termination has been
      deeply reviewed.
    * Replaced the absolute subflow sequence numbers in DSN option with
      relative sequence numbers. This is needed because many middleboxes
      (notably Cisco catalyst 6500 and Cisco 7600) change the ISN of TCP
      flows for security reasons.
    * The Shim6 Path Manager has been removed. Shim6 can still be used
      with MPTCP, but that branch is not maintained currently. See the
      git branch mtcp_shim6 if you want to try MPTCP with Shim6.
    * Many bug fixes

You can download it here: http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/mptcp

regards,

Sébastien.

-- 
Sébastien Barré
Researcher,
CSE department, UCLouvain, Belgium
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/sbarre