Subject: [multipathtcp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-mptcp-experience-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:32:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Multipath TCP Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Experience with Multipath TCP
        Authors         : Olivier Bonaventure
                          Christoph Paasch
                          Gregory Detal
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mptcp-experience-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2014-09-17

Abstract:
   This document discusses operational experiences of using Multipath
   TCP in real world networks.  It lists several prominent use cases for
   which Multipath TCP has been considered and is being used.  It also
   gives insight in some heuristics and decisions that have helped to
   realize these use cases.  Further, it presents several open issues
   that are yet unclear on how they can be solved.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mptcp-experience/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mptcp-experience-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 16:09:25 +0200

Hello,

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-mptcp-experience-00.txt

This draft is a minor revision of the draft presented in Toronto. The 
main change is the addition of a new section that describes an issue 
that the Linux implementation had recently with subflows having 
different MSS sizes. In some situations, this caused significant 
performance drops. Multipath TCP Implementers probably need to regularly 
test their code with different MSS values, a case that does not happen 
frequently in the lab.

This has been discussed in more details on the mptcp-dev mailing list, 
see e.g.

https://listes-2.sipr.ucl.ac.be/sympa/arc/mptcp-dev/2014-09/msg00130.html

We have now started to systematically collect and analyze Multipath TCP 
packet traces on several of our servers to detect operational issues 
such as this one. As always, feedback from users of Multipath TCP is welcome

Olivier

-- 
INL, ICTEAM, UCLouvain, Belgium, http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be