Subject: [multipathtcp] Arranging MPTCP hackathon

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:41:07 +0000

Hi,

So we had some nice interest for MPTCP joining the hackathon. It would be good to work out a bit better what we should try to do.

Let me summarise what I think people have suggested so far (sorry if I forgot any): 

- Costin proposed an experiment with their code for a client connecting to all the Wifi Access Points they see and spreading traffic over them with Multipath TCP. Work at the hackathon would write monitoring software & scripting of experiments (which I guess could continue to run through the week). Personally I think this would be interesting - as a contrast to the "usual" operating mode of using mptcp for a back-up link ("usual" = my impression of how most people have been using mptcp so far). I also know that Juan Antonio (UCLouvain) has a tool for monitoring the MPTCP bandwidth and delay benefit (or penalty) and has experiments vs the bandwidth ratio of the different paths. Maybe these could be brought together somehow??
- Olivier B has offered to come to Prague (with colleagues?) if there others in Prague who want to work together on the MPTCP implementation in the Linux kernel or related tools like mptcptrace or tracebox. 
- Thomas D offered access to the NorNet testbed (~100 nodes with Linux MPTCP on ~20 sites most with multiple ISPs), plus possibility of VMs with modified mptcp kernel. This is nice - what experiments would be done? Thomas has also suggested (on the hackathon page) improving MPTCP support in their NetPerfMeter tool.
- Sowmini, from the Oracle Mainline Linux Kernel group, and Olivier discussed some ideas for RDS-over-mptcp. I'm not sure if it's too early for an experiment at the hackathon or if this is a possible topic? Also, (outside the hackathon) how to expedite pushing changes upstream into the mainline kernel. 
- Ed L is also interest in joining
- I remember that Nigel (FreeBSD implementation) also said he was in Prague.

Are there are other ideas or people who want to join a hackathon?
Do we need to firm up on what people would like to try and do? - I guess something around Costin's suggestion looks the most concrete idea so far?

We should also decide what day(s) (Sat /Sun before the IETF) people want to meet, and people need to register. There are currently 31 places left on Sunday and a few more on Sat, so we should firm things up fairly soon so people can register and make other travel arrangements etc.
http://ietf.org/hackathon/93-hackathon.html 

thanks
phil

> -----Original Message-----
> From: multipathtcp [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> [email-masked]
> Sent: 17 May 2015 11:13
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [multipathtcp] FW: IETF hackathon
> 
> Anyone want to join the IETF Prague hackathon with some MPTCP related
> work?
> ________________________________________
> From: WGChairs <[email-masked]> on behalf of Jari Arkko
> <[email-masked]>
> Sent: 17 May 2015 10:17
> To: IETF WG Chairs
> Subject: IETF hackathon
> 
> Chairs,
> 
> I wanted to highlight that in Prague we will have a hackathon event:
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/blog/2015/05/ietf-hackathon/
> 
> Some of your working groups might have participants working actively on
> software who might benefit from some time together. Or could implement
> a small enhancement during the weekend. An opportunity for your
> consideration.
> 
> Jari
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> multipathtcp mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multipathtcp

---

From: Sowmini Varadhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 07:32:58 -0400

> - Sowmini, from the Oracle Mainline Linux Kernel group, and Olivier discussed some ideas for RDS-over-mptcp. I'm not sure if it's too early for an experiment at the hackathon or if this is a possib…

This might actually be an interesting experiment to try out,
and I could help set this up (though I only arrive sunday)

I did have a chance to poke around the kernel data-structures
and paths, so I will probably need some clarifications about the code.

BTW, the 3.14.33 kernel (even without mptcp) does not come up on
sparc (networking is broken.. arp works but not much else), so moving
forward to a more recent kernel would make this
much more interesting for us..

--Sowmini

---

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 17:16:26 +0200

Phil,
> - Olivier B has offered to come to Prague (with colleagues?) if there others in Prague who want to work together on the MPTCP implementation in the Linux kernel or related tools like mptcptrace or…

We discussed a bit internally and here are two projects that look 
feasible within a weekend and involve code :

- extend the MPTCP Linux kernel to collect and expose more statistics 
(e.g. through netstat) about the established MPTCP connections and their 
performance. This would require some knowledge of MPTCP to identify the 
statistics that are useful and kernel knowledge to add them.

- develop test scripts to validate the operation of MPTCP through 
various types of middleboxes with tracebox (see http://www.tracebox.org)

If some people are interested by these projects several members of the 
group in Louvain-la-neuve can come to Prague for the weekend.

Olivier

-- 
INL, ICTEAM, UCLouvain, Belgium, http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be

---

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 17:26:51 +0200

Sowmini,
> much more interesting for us..

The trunk branch is already using kernel 3.18, but we never tried 
anything on sparcs.

https://github.com/multipath-tcp/mptcp/tree/mptcp_trunk

Olivier

---

From: Sowmini Varadhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 11:50:12 -0400

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Olivier Bonaventure
<[email-masked]> wrote:

>
> The trunk branch is already using kernel 3.18, but we never tried anything
> on sparcs.
>

ah, ok, I know that the base 3.18 kernel is fine on sparc, so let me give
this a try..

--Sowmini

---

From: Nigel Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 02:27:54 +1000

Hi Philip,

> - I remember that Nigel (FreeBSD implementation) also said he was in Prague.

I won't be arriving until Sunday afternoon, but some interop testing 
would be of interest, or even some discussion relating to that.

cheers,
nigel

---

From: "Ivancic, William D. (GRC-LCA0)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 18:35:05 +0000

On 6/19/15 12:27 PM, "Nigel Williams" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> So we had some nice interest for MPTCP joining the hackathon. It would
>>be good to work out a bit better what we should try to do.
>>
>> - Costin proposed an experiment with their code for a client connecting
>>to all the Wifi Access Points they see and spreading traffic over them
>>with Multipath TCP. Work at the hackathon would write monitoring
>>software & scripting of experiments (which I guess could continue to run
>>through the week). Personally I think this would be interesting - as a
>>contrast to the "usual" operating mode of using mptcp for a back-up link
>>("usual" = my impression of how most people have been using mptcp so
>>far). I also know that Juan Antonio (UCLouvain) has a tool for
>>monitoring the MPTCP bandwidth and delay benefit (or penalty) and has
>>experiments vs the bandwidth ratio of the different paths. Maybe these
>>could be brought together somehow??
>> - Olivier B has offered to come to Prague (with colleagues?) if there
>>others in Prague who want to work together on the MPTCP implementation
>>in the Linux kernel or related tools like mptcptrace or tracebox.

My contract to work MPTCP for channel combining  should start this July.
One of  my tasks is developing test tools such as mptcptrace as well
real-time PPP captures (Comparing PPP-MP to MPTCP).  I think the community
will find both tools useful.  Feel free to contact me via email.  I will
be meeting my sponsor next week.

Unfortunately, I cannot physically make the Prague meeting.

Will