Subject: [multipathtcp] discussions on draft-boucadair-mptcp-symmetric-02

From: Yoshifumi Nishida <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 22:13:52 -0700

Hello,
There were several discussions on draft-boucadair-mptcp-symmetric-02.txt
I am thinking that we're setting down on these two points.

1: Changing ADD_ADDR formats (replacing IPVer field by Flags field) seems
to be a reasonable idea.

2: How to use the flags field seems to need more discussions as this is
scarce resource.

If this is acceptable for everyone, we can integrate 1: into 6824bis and
continue discussions on the draft for the usage of the flags, etc.

Please share if you have some thoughts on this.
I guess this might be one topic for the interim.

Thanks,
--
Yoshi

---

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 09:53:25 +0200

Yoshifumi,

> 1: Changing ADD_ADDR formats (replacing IPVer field by Flags field)
> seems to be a reasonable idea.

I fully support this

> 2: How to use the flags field seems to need more discussions as this is

There are several possibly utilisations of these flags beyond
draft-boucadair-mptcp-symmetric-02.txt

- one flag could be used to indicate that an address is announced as a 
backup address, i.e. an address that if it is used will lead to a backup 
sufblow
- one flag could be used as an "echo" flag to enable a host to confirm 
the reception of an ADD_ADDR by echoing it. However, while providing 
reliable delivery of ADD_ADDR would be useful in some lossy scenarios, 
this also increases the complexity of the implementation on the host 
that sends the ADD_ADDR
> continue discussions on the draft for the usage of the flags, etc.

I agree

Olivier