Subject: [multipathtcp] Securing Multipath TCP : design and implementation

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 17:02:49 +0100

Hello,

You might be interested by the following paper that will be presented at 
INFOCOM'17 :

Securing MultiPath TCP: Design & Implementation
Mathieu Jadin, Gautier Tihon, Olivier Pereira and Olivier Bonaventure 
Proc. INFOCOM'17, 2017.

Abstract

MultiPath TCP (MPTCP) is a recent TCP extension that enables hosts to 
send data over multiple paths for a single connection. It is already 
deployed for various use cases, notably on smartphones. In parallel with 
this, there is a growing deployment of encryption and authentication 
techniques to counter various forms of security attacks. Tcpcrypt and 
TLS are some of these security solutions.

In this paper, we propose MPTCPsec, a MultiPath TCP extension that 
closely integrates authentication and encryption inside the protocol 
itself. Our design relies on an adaptation for the multipath environment 
of the ENO option that is being discussed within the IETF tcpinc working 
group. We then detail how MultiPath TCP needs to be modified to 
authenticate and encrypt all data and authenticate the different TCP 
options that it uses. Finally, we implement our proposed extension in 
the reference implementation of MultiPath TCP in the Linux kernel and we 
evaluate its performance.

https://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/publications/secure-multipath-tcp-design-impementation

The kernel code developed for this paper is also available from
  https://bitbucket.org/mptcpsecteam/mptcpsec

We won't unfortunately attend the next meeting in Chicago but could 
participare remotely or be present in Prague if there is interest in the 
working group for this type of work.

Mathieu and Olivier