Subject: [multipathtcp] q about draft-bonaventure-mptcp-converters

From: Yoshifumi Nishida <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 00:45:29 -0700

Hi Olivier,

I am sorry that my question was not clear during the meeting.
I think one use case we had before was a client which doesn't support mptcp
can still utilize mptcp in some part of the path.
Could you explain how to handle this case?

Thanks,
--
Yoshi

---

From: Olivier Bonaventure <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 09:59:42 +0200

Yoshifumi,
> I think one use case we had before was a client which doesn't support 
> mptcp can still utilize mptcp in some part of the path.

Thanks for the clarification. The situation is typically the following :

client -- cpe -- net 1 --- converter ---- server
            +---- net 2 ------+

In this case, the cpe runs a transparent TCP proxy that intercepts the 
TCP connection established by the client. This TCP proxy implements the 
converter protocol and interacts with the converter through net1 and/or 
net2.

The transparent TCP proxy running on the cpe does not need to be 
standardised and various forms of such proxies are deployed. What needs 
to the standardised is the format of the messages that the cpe exchanges 
with the converter and this is what the draft proposes.

Olivier