Subject: [multipathtcp] RFC 8684 on TCP Extensions for Multipath Operation with Multiple Addresses

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 21:34:25 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8684

        Title:      TCP Extensions for Multipath Operation 
                    with Multiple Addresses 
        Author:     A. Ford, 
                    C. Raiciu,
                    M. Handley, 
                    O. Bonaventure,
                    C. Paasch
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      68
        Obsoletes:  RFC 6824

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mptcp-rfc6824bis-18.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8684

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8684

TCP/IP communication is currently restricted to a single path per
connection, yet multiple paths often exist between peers. The
simultaneous use of these multiple paths for a TCP/IP session would
improve resource usage within the network and thus improve user
experience through higher throughput and improved resilience to
network failure.

Multipath TCP provides the ability to simultaneously use multiple
paths between peers. This document presents a set of extensions to
traditional TCP to support multipath operation. The protocol offers
the same type of service to applications as TCP (i.e., a reliable
bytestream), and it provides the components necessary to establish
and use multiple TCP flows across potentially disjoint paths.

This document specifies v1 of Multipath TCP, obsoleting v0 as
specified in RFC 6824, through clarifications and modifications
primarily driven by deployment experience.

This document is a product of the Multipath TCP Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC