Subject: draft-ietf-dnsext-insensitive-01.txt

From: Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:11:47 -0500

I would like to suggest to add a section to this draft about how case
insensitivity is handled in idn, in order to get some references to
additional related work (idn) that have important impact on case
insensitivity for the user point of view.

Regards, Marc.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: David Blacka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 17:52:03 -0500

On Tuesday 18 March 2003 12:41 pm, Michael Richardson wrote:

> >>>>> "David" == David Blacka <[email-masked]> writes:
>     David> I don't think I agree with this.
> 
>   I don't agree that you don't agree!  Your later text explains that
>   you do.
> 
>   I claim you do agree. We (the humans) need to identify which is KSK and
> which is ZSK. Sometimes humans will ask the computer to help them
> figure it out, such as when the parent wants to know which key to
> download for offline verification. It is also useful so that humans
> can more easily be told by the tools, "I think that you made a
> mistake, add --I-really-mean-it if you are sure".

I think that you have misunderstood my point.  

What I agree with is that it needs to be clear to the zone operator
and the zone signing tools which keys are key signing keys and which
keys are zone signing keys.

What I disagree with is that this information needs to be in the KEY
record itself.

I strongly believe that if we are going to define a bit in the KEY RR
(or any other field in any other RR for that matter), it should have
an _on_the_wire_ use.  I don't see one for the ZSK bit.  This
information is important to the zone signer and the human running the
zone signer, which are both located at the same place.  Thus this is
tools issue, albeit an important one.

-- 
David Blacka    <[email-masked]> 
Sr. Engineer    Verisign Applied Research