Subject: draft-ietf-dnsext-unknown-rrs-04.txt

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:21:25 +0100 (CET)

I've done the AD review of this document and I have some questions.

   To avoid such corruption, servers MUST NOT compress domain names
   embedded in the RDATA of types that are class-specific or not well-
   known.  This requirement was stated in RFC1123 without defining the
   term "well-known"; it is hereby specified that only the RR types
   defined in RFC1035 are to be considered "well-known".

The above seems to change the current standard behavior for
SIG, NXT, and perhaps others.

Is this the intent? If so the document should explicitly state this
and also add an "updates RFC 2535" up front. (It also needs an
"updates RFC 1035" up front but that is just an editorial nit).

   For all other RR types, the canonical form is hereby changed such
   that no downcasing of embedded domain names takes place.  The owner
   name is always set to lower case according to the DNS rules for
   character comparisons, regardless of the RR type.

It would be useful to explicitly list the RR types to which this change
applies.

Nits (by themselves not necessitating an updated I-D at this point in time):
The references should be split into normative and non-normative.
A boilerplate IPR section should be added.
(I haven't explicitly checked against the ID-nits page to see if there
are others.)

  Erik

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>