Subject: LLMNR Issue 26: Retransmission Timeouts

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 15:02:12 -0800 (PST)

Issue 26: Retransmission timeouts
Submitter: Bernard Aboba
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: March 17, 2003
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-13
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 2.1
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Dynamically estimated timeout values are not supported.

Change:

"If the LLMNR query is not resolved during a limited amount of time
(LLMNR_TIMEOUT), then a sender MAY repeat the transmission of a query in
order to assure themselves that the query has been received by a host
capable of responding to the query. The default value for LLMNR_TIMEOUT
is 1 second. Since a sender cannot know beforehand whether it will
receive no response, one response, or more than one response to a query,
it SHOULD wait for LLMNR_TIMEOUT in order to collect all possible
responses, rather than considering the query answered after the first
response is received."

To:

"LLMNR implementations SHOULD dynamically estimate the timeout
value (LLMNR_TIMEOUT) on a per-interface basis, using the
algorithms described in [RFC2988], with a minimum timeout value
of 300 ms. If the LLMNR query is not resolved by LLMNR_TIMEOUT,
then a sender MAY repeat the transmission of a query in
order to assure themselves that the query has been received by a host
capable of responding to the query. Since a sender cannot know
beforehand whether it will receive no response, one response,
or more than one response to a query, it SHOULD wait for
LLMNR_TIMEOUT in order to collect all possible responses,
rather than considering the query answered after the first
response is received."

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>