Subject: DNSSEC (and secure .nl) mini HOWTO

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:10:45 +0100 (MET)

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to miss
  and therefore delete posts by non-subscribers.  if you wish to regularly
  post from an address that is not subscribed to this mailing list, send a
  message to <listname>[email-masked] and ask to have the alternate
  address added to the list of addresses from which submissions are
  automatically accepted. ]

Hi people,

For c't magazine (www.ct.nl) I have written an article on DNSSEC and the
Dutch SECREG (secreg.nlnetlabs.nl) experiment. An English translation
has been put online at:

http://www.xtdnet.nl/paul/dnssec/

The article briefly explains dnssec, how to create secure domains, and
how to submit them to the Dutch SECREG experiment. The article is aimed
at the enduser, not the IETF experts, and was meant to try and push some
extra momentum in the .nl dnssec experiment. The original Dutch article
will appear on March 14 in printed form (issue 04/2003).

Another reason for me to push dnssec is FreeS/WAN, the Linux IPsec
implementation, that features "Opportunistic Encryption". OE is
a method for securing all IP traffic using IPsec without prior
configuration. Ideally, it will rely on dnssec for the neccesary key
material. For more information, see:

http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_snaps/CURRENT-SNAP/doc/quickstart.html

If you do not own any .nl domain, but wish to play with dnssec in the
secure .nl tree, you can contact me for either a .nl (secure) subdomain
delegation, or I can assist you in registering your own .nl. (With
a subdomain delegation you obviously cannot experiment with SECREG
directly).

Regards,

Paul Wouters
Xtended Internet
--
Broerdijk 27			Postbus 170		Tel: 31-24-360 39 19
6523 GM Nijmegen		6500 AD Nijmegen	Fax: 31-24-360 19 99
The Netherlands			The Netherlands		[email-masked]

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Derek Atkins <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Mar 2003 13:26:58 -0500

> implementation, that features "Opportunistic Encryption". OE is

Just to be pedantic, FreeS/WAN is _a_ Linux IPsec implementation.
It is NOT the only one.  Indeed, Linux-2.5 has an embedded IPsec
implementation that is decidedly NOT FreeS/WAN.  There is also the
USAGI implementation.

-derek, trying to prevent the spread of false information

-- 
       Derek Atkins
       Computer and Internet Security Consultant
       [email-masked]             www.ihtfp.com