Subject: Re: Just three questions

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:47:53 +0100

--On onsdag, februar 19, 2003 19:05:09 +0100 "Tomson Eric (Yahoo.fr)" 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Just three questions :
>
> 1/does the IETF support or contest the "Inclusive Name Space" (the one
> operated by NewRoot instead of the ICANN)?

See RFC 2826; the IAB thinks that one root is enough.

> 2/is this list reserved for all IETF-supporting people only, or is it
> also open to IETF opponents/challengers?

You have adressed three lists.

[email-masked] exists as an open forum to further the work of the IETF.
  Its charter can be found on http://www.ietf.org/maillist.html
[email-masked] exists to communicate with the Internet Engineering Steering
  Group (IESG).
[email-masked] exists as an open forum to further the work
  of the DNSEXT IETF working group, described in
  http://www2.ietf.org/html.charters/dnsext-charter.html

None of the lists restrict who can post to it (apart from spam control).
On both of the open lists, repeated posting of material irrelevant to the 
purpose of the list can lead to your posting privilleges being restricted.

This has nothing to do with what you think, or say, and everything to do 
with the forum in which you choose to say it.

> 3/knowing that the Internet Society is the only official body amongst
> all the Internet-related structures (IETF, IAB, IESG, etc.), created to
> host all of them, is it decent and acceptable to dispute/oppose/mock it,
> here in this list?

Since the IETF list ([email-masked]) is intended as a forum to disucss the 
policies of the IETF (among other things), reasoned opinions about the 
relationship between the IETF and ISOC is a valid subject for this list, no 
matter whether the person stating that opinion thinks that the relationship 
is a good thing or a bad thing.

However, it would be inappropriate to the purpose of the namedroppers list.

Mockery is not generally considered a reasoned form of opinion.

Did this answer your question?

                    Harald Alvestrand

---

From: shogunx <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 01:28:15 -0500 (EST)

> operated by NewRoot instead of the ICANN)?

Dont forget the opennic www.opennic.unrated.net the pacificroot
pacificroot.org or the open root server consortium www.open-rsc.org when
addressing the topic of alternative root servers.  Notwithstanding, the
IETF is made up of individuals, each with their own perspectives and
opinions.

> also open to IETF opponents/challengers?

Without this list, and the IETF, you would not be able to send the email I
am responding to.

> host all of them, is it decent and acceptable to dispute/oppose/mock it,

Dispute all you want, if the topic is valid.  Oppose whatever you choose.
It is never a wise idea, however, to mock on of the most intelligent
collections of individuals on the planet.  Just a word to the wise.

Scott

> Just asking...
>
> ___________________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!? -- Une adresse @yahoo.fr gratuite et en français !
> Yahoo! Mail : http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
>
>

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from daytona beach
http://sleekfreak.ath.cx

---

From: John Stracke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:24:57 -0500

>operated by NewRoot instead of the ICANN)?
RFC-2826 answers this.

-- 
/===========================================================\
|John Stracke      [email-masked]                    |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                  |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                 |
|===========================================================|
|A computer without Windows is like a chocolate cake without|
|mustard.                                                   |
\===========================================================/