Subject: Re: Q1: Should we allow name compression in the RDATA of DNSSEC RRs?

From: Jakob Schlyter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:39:15 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Scott Rose wrote:

> Q:  Should the text in the Resource Records draft of the DNSSEC spec be
> changed to indicated that name compression "SHOULD NOT" be used when
> sending security RRs over the wire?

yes, but I would prefer a MUST NOT.

	jakob

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: [email-masked] (Andreas Gustafsson)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:08:13 -0800 (PST)

Scott Rose writes:
> changed to indicated that name compression "SHOULD NOT" be used when sending
> security RRs over the wire?  This only applies to the "signer's name" field
> of the SIG RR and "next domain name" of the NXT RR.
>     note:  "SHOULD NOT" would be the suggestion.  "MUST NOT" may be too
> strong, but if that is the concensus, then that will be the language.

It should be changed to MUST NOT.  A SHOULD NOT would be inconsistent
with the unknown-rrs draft.
-- 
Andreas Gustafsson, [email-masked]