Subject: Proposed Resolution of LLMNR Issue 28

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 21:00:47 -0800 (PST)

I would propose to accept the change proposed in Issue 28. Any objections?

Issue 28: Addressing
Submitter: Christian Huitema
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: January 17, 2003
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-13
Comment type: T
Priority: S
Section: 2.5
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

Change:

"For IPv4 link-scope addressing, section 2.4 of "Dynamic Configuration of
IPv4 Link-Local Addresses" [IPV4Link] lays out the rules with respect to
source address selection, TTL settings, and acceptable
source/destination address combinations. IPv6 is described in [RFC2460];
IPv6 link-scope addressing is described in [RFC2373]. LLMNR queries and
responses obey the rules laid out in these documents. "

To:

"The source address of LLMNR queries and responses MUST be "on link". The
destination address of an LLMNR query MUST be a link-scope multicast
address or an "on link" unicast address; the destination address
of an LLMNR response MUST be an "on link" unicast address.
For IPv4, an "on link" address is defined as an address whose prefix
belongs to a subnet on the local link; for IPv6 [RFC2460]
an "on link" address is either a link-local address, defined in
[RFC2373], or an address whose prefix
belongs to a subnet on the local link. LLMNR senders or responders
receiving LLMNR packets from a source address that is not "on link"
SHOULD silently discard them. "

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>