Subject: DNSEXT WGLC: Wildcard Clarify

From: "Olaf M. Kolkman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:07:35 +0200

This is a last call for the 'Wildcard Clarify' document.

Title: 
Clarifying the Role of Wild Card Domains in the Domain Name System

URL:   
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsext-wcard-clarify-01.txt

Please read the document, send in motivated statements of support,
opposition, clarifications &c.  This protocol is on standards track,
if you disagree with that please speak up and motivate.

The last call period is a little over 2 weeks and will conclude Sunday
September 7, 2003.

If there is no discussion about this document the default action by
chairs is to advance it as the need for this document is clearly
motivated by the authors and not opposed in recent discussion.

                           --------------------

 Abstract:

  The definition of wild cards is recast from the original in RFC
  1034, in words that are more specific and in line with RFC 2119.
  This document is meant to supplement the definition in RFC 1034 and
  to alter neither the spirit nor intent of that definition.
 
 From the Introduction:

  Why is this document needed?  Empirical evidence suggests that the
  words in RFC 1034 are not clear enough.  There exist a number of
  implementations that have strayed (each differently) from that
  definition.  There also exists a misconception of operators that the
  wild card can be used to add a specific RR type to all names, such
  as the MX RR example cited above.  This document is also needed as
  input to efforts to extend DNS, such as the DNS Security Extensions
  [RFC 2535].  Lack of a clear base specification has proven to result
  in extension documents that have unpredictable consequences.  (This
  is true in general, not just for DNS.)

                           --------------------

-- Olaf
   DNSEXT Co-Chair

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>