Subject: TCR registry text

From: Sam Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:33:31 -0400 (EDT)

In Vienna, it was decided to create separate security algorithm
registries for the new type codes (DNSKEY, RRSIG) and for new
application key RR's (ie. IPSECKEY).  Here's the text I plan to add to
the draft.  Note that it drops all mention of type 1 (RSA/MD5,
deprecated for this purpose), type 4 (previously "reserved" for
ECC), and indirect.  Comments would be appreciated.  The current
registry is at: http://www.iana.org/assignments/dns-sec-alg

   In order to allow DNS Security and SIG(0) to use different sets of
   algorithms, the existing "DNS Security Algorithm Numbers" registry
   is renamed as the "SIG(0) Algorithm Numbers" registry and a new
   "DNS Security Algorithm Numbers" registry is established.  The
   initial algorithm values are:

     2        Diffie-Hellman                    [RFC2539]
     3        DSA/SHA1                          [RFC2536]
     5        RSA/SHA-1                         [RFC3110]
   253        Private algorithms - domain name	[RFC2535]
   254        Private algorithms - OID		[RFC2535]

   Values 0, 1, and 255 are reserved.  Values 4 and 6 through 252 are
   available for assignment by IETF Standards Action.

   It is suggested, but not required, that new algorithms usable by
   both DNS Security and SIG(0) be assigned the same number in both
   registries.

-- Sam

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>