Subject: DNSSECbis Q-13: Implementation advice regarding caching in security-aware resolvers

From: Matt Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:11:38 -0400

This question corresponds to editor's note #12 from
draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-protocol-01.

Q-13: Should the implementation advice regarding caching in
security-aware resolvers remain in the document?

Background: Here is the text in question from Section 4 (pages 22-23)
of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-protocol-01:

   A security-aware resolver SHOULD cache each response as a single
   atomic entry, indexed by the triple <QNAME, QTYPE, QCLASS>, with the
   single atomic entry containing the entire answer, including the named
   RRset and any associated DNSSEC RRs.  The resolver SHOULD discard the
   entire atomic entry when any of the RRs contained in it expire.

      Editors' note: This is implementation advice which came out of
      discussions at various workshops and investigations into possible
      implementation issues with the (as yet unsettled) opt-in proposal.
      All of this advice has been discussed in WG meetings, and as far
      as the editors know these recommendations are not controversial,
      but it is up to the WG to decide whether this sort of
      implementation advice belongs in this document.

Please indicate whether you think this implementation advice should
remain in the document or not.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>