Subject: DNSSECbis Q-16: Security-aware recursive name server behavior when CD=1 and DO=0

From: Matt Larson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:30:09 -0400

This question corresponds to editors' note #14 from
draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-protocol-01.  (Note: DNSSECbis Q-15
incorrectly claimed to correspond to editors' note #14.  Q-15 actually
corresponds to editors' note #15.)

Q-16: What should a security-aware recursive name server do if it
receives a query with CD=1 and DO=0?

Background: Here is the text in question from Section 4.1 (page 23) of
draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-protocol-01:

   The name server side of a security-aware recursive name server MUST
   pass the sense of the CD bit to the resolver side along with the rest
   of an initiating query, so that the resolver side will know whether
   whether or not it is required to verify the response data it returns
   to the name server side.

Suggested additional text:

   The sense of the CD bit is only considered when a query also has
   the DO bit set.  A security-aware recursive name server MUST ignore
   the sense of the CD bit if the DO bit is not set.

Please comment on the suggested text.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>