Subject: AD review of draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-roadmap-07.txt

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:16:08 -0400

Hi.

I've just re-reviewed this document. It's been around for a long time,
and the IESG sent it back maybe a year ago with comments (mostly
related to its extensive references to IDs).

>From the 20,000 foot level, I don't really see much value in
publishing this document as an RFC. Reasons include:

1) a year or two from now, this document would seem to be irrelevant
   and I wouldn't expect anyone to need to read it. Indeed, I didn't
   get much out of reading it just now and I'm not sure who would need
   to read it.

2) It's a snapshot of things at a particular point in time, but as
   time moves on (and documents get revised and published), it gets
   out of date.

3) I don't think it's really worth spending cycles on getting the
   document through the final stages of IESG review, revision and
   publication.  (Some more cleanup is needed - it still seems to talk
   about pre-3445 KEY usage.)

4) Documents of this type seem useful in the sense that they are
   useful as IDs, when the WG is trying to flesh out its roadmap. But
   the WG is past that point now, and its value seems largely past.

So, unless the WG feels strongly it wants to move this document
forward, I'd suggest we just let it die.

Thomas

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Scott Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:05:20 -0400

As the author of this draft (which means little):  I agree.  There is a
section of the new DNSSECbis Intro that covers much of the same ground.

Scott