Subject: half time report on wcard

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:19:05 -0400

We're closing in on the half time of the last call on wcard clarify. 
(Yes, a bit early, but a long weekend is upcoming in my locale, and 
some folks are headed off to RIPE next week.)

So far I've seen three comments on this document.

1) A question about why the label begins with 0b01.

Apparently there's a mistake there (that I just caught).  A normal 
label (length) begins with 00, not 01.  Looking at RFC 1035, 4.1.4, 
it mentions 11 as being a compression pointer, 10 and 01 as being 
reserved.  I can't find where 00 is defined - which is what should be 
in wcard clarify.

"I just caught" - because I replied to the questioner with '01' is 
normal and he didn't balk.  Apparently I was wrong then, I did just 
notice the mistake.

2) A question about the phrase "spirit nor intent" - don't the two 
mean the same thing?

Spirit is mentioned because I'm trying to preserve, as much as I can, 
the flavor of 1034.  (That's why I cut and paste it's words so much.) 
Intent means that there are no protocol changes proposed up until the 
WG asked to modify "applying a wild card while chasing a CNAME." 
Even that change appears to fit the intent of the original document 
though.

3) A comment about "NXDOMAIN," RFC 2308, and the phrase "A QNAME and 
QCLASS matching an existing node never results in a response return 
code of authoritative name error."

I find that this comment is irrelevant to the document for a couple of reasons.

For one, RFC 2308 isn't even referenced by this document, so any 
discussion relating to it and whether or not there's a conflict 
between 2308 and 1034 is out of scope.

Secondly, the reason the sentence in question appears at all is to 
show how a changed definition of existence reads in the spirit of 
1034.  The sentence in question is verbatim from 1034 in a paragraph 
whose middle sentence has been altered.  The middle sentence is 
relevant for discussion, the last one (the one in question) is there 
to provide context (and the spirit).

In summary - if there is a discussion to be had here, this is the 
wrong last call to carry it out in.

So, at the half way point I need to make sure I have the right label 
type indicator.  Does anyone know where the label type of '00' is 
defined?  I can't locate it in 1035.

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Sponge Bob Square Pants?  I'm still trying to figure out the Macarena.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>