Subject: TMM (too many mnemonics)

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:15:38 +0100 (CET)

RFC2535 allows numbers or mnemonics for the flags and protocol fields
in the KEY RR presentation format, but -records drops that for DNSKEY
and requires numbers.  Was that intentional?

-records also allows algorithm mnemonics in the DS presentation
format, but RFC3658 only allows numbers (for both the algorithm and
digest type fields).  Again, was that intentional?

To summarize:

Field               Allowed presentation formats   Different?
                    -records   RFC2535  RFC3658
(DNS)KEY algorithm   either    either
(DNS)KEY flags       number    either                X
(DNS)KEY protocol    number    either                X
DS algorithm         either             number       X
DS digest            number             number
SIG algorithm        either    either

-- Sam

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Scott Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:42:06 -0500

I do not seem to recall any discussion on the list about dropping the
mnemonic option in the presentation format.  Someone please correct me if I
am wrong.  Is there an objection to allowing the algorithm mnemonic in the
presentation formats of the DS/RRSIG and DNSKEY RRs?

Since there is only one protocol value now (3), I feel the mnemonics for
that field could be safely dropped.

Scott

---

From: Brian Wellington <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:43:11 -0800 (PST)

> that field could be safely dropped.

This sounds like an argument for dropping the field, not dropping support
for mnemonics.  If there's only one value, it shouldn't exist at all.
Having a field whose only legal value is '3' is confusing.

Brian

---

From: Samuel Weiler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 23:28:00 +0100 (CET)

After thinking about this more, I like the choices made by -records
now and, even though they are changes, I suggest we adopt them.

The DNSKEY flags mnemonic scheme is acrane.  The BIND signing tools
don't generate DNSKEYs with flags or protocol mnemonics, and I have
yet to hear any of us whine.  I suggest that we drop those.

For the algorithm field, I'd like for DS, RRSIG, and DNSKEY to be
consistent.  Having spent some time arguing about algorithm mnemonics
for the TCR document, I have a bit of a personal attachment to them,
and I'd like to see them stay.  If someone would be so kind as to dig
through the DS discussion from ages past and see why mnemonics were
dropped, that might be useful to us now.

--- Sam