Subject: Proposed Resolution to LLMNR issue 63: Miscellaneous NITs (part 3)

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 08:14:31 -0800 (PST)

The text of LLMNR Issue 63 is enclosed below.  The proposed fix is as
follows:

Change "appex" to "apex" throughout the document.

Add the following definition of "reachable" to Section 1.2:
"An address is considered reachable over a link if either an ARP or
neighbor discovery
cache entry exists for the address on the link."

In section 2, change:

"Enabling LLMNR for use in situations where a DNS server has been
configured will result in a change in default behavior
without a simultaneous update to configuration information."

To:

"Enabling LLMNR for use in situations where a DNS server has been
configured will result in a change in default behavior
without a simultaneous update to configuration information."

In Section 3,.1, change:

" The order in which various name resolution mechanisms should be used can
be specified
using the Name Service Search Option for DHCP [RFC2937]."

To:

" The order in which various name resolution mechanisms should be used can
be specified
using the Name Service Search Option (NSSO) for DHCP [RFC2937], using the
LLMNR Enable Option code carried in the NSSO data."

In Section 2.3, add:

"For example, a host configured to have computer name "host1" and to
be a member of the "example.com" domain, and with IPv4 address
10.1.1.1 and IPv6 address 2001:0DB8::1:2:3:FF:FE:4:5:6 might be
authoritative for the following records:

host1. IN A 10.1.1.1
IN AAAA 2001:0DB8::1:2:3:FF:FE:4:5:6

host1.example.com. IN A 10.1.1.1
IN AAAA 2001:0DB8::1:2:3:FF:FE:4:5:6

1.1.1.10.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR host1.
IN PTR host1.example.com.

6.0.5.0.4.0.E.F.F.F.3.0.2.0.1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.8.b.d.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa
IN PTR host1.
IN PTR host1.example.com

An LLMNR responder might be further manually configured with the name
of a local mail server with an MX RR included in the "host1." and
"host1.example.com." records."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue 63: Miscellaneous NITs (Part 3)
Submitter name: Ralph Droms
Submitter email address: [email-masked]
Date first submitted: January 9, 2004
Reference:
Document: LLMNR-28
Comment type: E
Priority: S
Section: Various
Rationale/Explanation of issue:

s/appex/apex/ ?

Should "reachable" or "reachable through the link" be included in the
terminology section?

Section 2, fourth paragraph: what are "upgraded hosts"?

Section 3.1, sixth paragraph: if LLMNR is to be configured in the name
resolution mechanism through the DHCP Name Service Search Option (NSSO),
there has to be some option concerning LLMNR whose option code can be
carried in the NSSO data.

The discussion about dynamic RTO computation seems OK.

I still think it would be useful to include some text about the use of
LLMNR when responders are authoritative for names that have only a single
component, for example, when the responders are hosts on a home network
where users may enter a name with no domain. Here is some text that might
fit into section 2.3:

For example, a Windows 2000 host configured through the
"System Properties" control panel to have computer name "host1" and to
be a member of the "example.com" domain, and with IPv4 address
10.1.1.1 and IPv6 address 2001:0DB8::1:2:3:FF:FE:4:5:6 might be
authoritative for the following records:

host1. IN A 10.1.1.1
IN AAAA 2001:0DB8::1:2:3:FF:FE:4:5:6

host1.example.com. IN A 10.1.1.1
IN AAAA 2001:0DB8::1:2:3:FF:FE:4:5:6

1.1.1.10.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR host1.
IN PTR host1.example.com.

6.0.5.0.4.0.E.F.F.F.3.0.2.0.1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.8.b.d.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa
IN PTR host1.
IN PTR host1.example.com

An LLMNR responder might be further manually configured with the name
of a local mail server with an MX RR included in the "host1" and
"host1.example.com" records.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>