Subject: DNSSECbis last call workshop -- summary

From: Suzanne Woolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:35:13 +0000

[ Moderators note: Post by non-subscriber.  With the massive amount of
   spam, it is easy to miss and therefore delete relevant posts 
   by non-subsrcibers. Please fix your subscription addresses. ]

Greetings,

As noted to the list, a "DNSSECbis last call" workshop was sponsored
this week in Amsterdam by NLnet Labs, ISC, and RIPE NCC. Activities
included testing of DNSSEC features in two independent authoritative
server implementations and detailed analysis and discussion of the
current DNSSEC protocol draft
(draft-ietf-dnsext-dnssec-protocol-04.txt).

* The operational tests conducted in the workshop found that the core
  DNSSEC features have been implemented and function as expected.
  Basic functional tests raised no new corner cases or other protocol
  issues for either implementation used.

* A number of editorial issues with the documents were identified.
  Those that qualify as "nits" are being sent directly to the
  DNSSECbis-editors, several of whom were present at the workshop.

* Some more extensive editorial work was also identified. This is
  primarily in the areas of more detailed justifications of MUSTs and
  SHOULDs, missing or incomplete definitions, and other clarifications
  in the specification for the benefit of implementors. These were not
  protocol changes or significant areas for new protocol
  specification. Individual participants will raise these concerns on
  namedroppers.

* A couple of issues were identified that are substantive enough to
  need working group consensus for changes to the documents. These
  will be brought to the working group in the near future, in separate
  messages as coordinated by the chair.

In summary, however, the issues identified were weaknesses in the
documents, not significant problems with the specification. The
workshop result was that the protocol is functionally complete. At
risk of speaking for others, it seems that when the documents are
revised to address the concerns raised, participants will be ready to
support advancing them to the IESG.

Suzanne

Workshop participants, alphabetically:

Jaap Akkerhuis, Mark Andrews, Roy Arends, David Blacka, Cagri
Coltekin, Joao Damas, Miek Gieben, Johan Ihren, Olaf Kolkman, Matt
Larson, David Lawrence, Ed Lewis, Ted Lindgreen, Bill Manning, Daniel
Massey, Erik Rozendaal, Jakob Schlyter, Sam Weiler and Suzanne Woolf

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Ólafur Gudmundsson/DNSEXT co-chair <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:15:23 -0500

>support advancing them to the IESG.

On behalf of the working group, I would like to thank RIPE NCC for
hosting this workshop and all the participants for their valuable
contributions of time and effort.

The outcome of this workshop is a proof that we are finally close to
having good DNSSECbis documents as well as two working DNSSEC
implementations.

Many of the nits raised in the WS and on the mailing lists,
have already been addressed in the working versions of the documents.
DNSSECbis WGLC formally ends today but keep the comments coming.

         Olafur DNSEXT co-chair.