Subject: IANA registry issue

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 17:24:00 -0400

Attemping protocol=4 is made hard by this in the IANA considerations 
of the -records document:

    KEY Protocol Values: [RFC2535] created an IANA Registry for KEY
       Protocol Values, but [RFC3445] re-assigned all values other than 3
       to reserved and closed this IANA registry.  The registry remains
       closed, and all KEY and DNSKEY records are required to have
       Protocol Octet value of 3.

PS - namedroppers seems awfully quiet this afternoon... ;)
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

"I can't go to Miami.  I'm expecting calls from telemarketers." -
Grandpa Simpson.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: David Blacka <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:18:03 -0400

>        Protocol Octet value of 3.

I think before we attempt to jump this hurdle, we need to determine if 1) 
signaling DNSSEC-ter in DNSKEY is feasible (so far, looks like to me), and 2) 
desirable.  That is, would using proto=4 or DNSKEY flag bits as a signaling 
mechanism be better than TCR?

Then we can figure out whether or not we wish to revive that IANA registry or 
do something else.

> PS - namedroppers seems awfully quiet this afternoon... ;)

Sorry, man.

-- 
David Blacka    <[email-masked]> 
Sr. Engineer    VeriSign Applied Research