Subject: Re: dns rr types

From: Paul Vixie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 03:25:20 +0000

> legacy stuff. our old zones here had UNIFO/UID/GID data and the 4.9
> upgrades (i think it was 4.9...) summarily dropped support for these
> rr types, causing me to have to edit the zone files, removing these.

right.  since there was no rfc documenting them, i took them out of bind.

> I'd have to poll the old timers, ...

mike schwartz was the originator of UNSPEC.  only dunlap or karels could
answer for the rest.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:12:19 -0400

At Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:12:26 +0000, Bill Manning wrote:
> I'd have to poll the old timers, but the rdata for these records roughly
> matched the following:
> 
> 	UINFO ==  "human name/account"
> 	UID   ==  "Unix UID"	
> 	GID   ==  "Unix GID"
> 
> No ID or RFC documents these bad boys.  One might find more data in the
> old CHAOS/Athena docsets :)

I suppose one would need to have lived through the 1980s at MIT to
understand why the phrase "Chaos/Athena" is so hilarious.

My recollection is that these RR types date back to the era when BIND
4 was still being maintained at UC Berkeley, and may have originated
at UCB itself.

It's unlikely that they came from MIT's Project Athena, which did
indeed use DNS to distribute such data, but did so via Hesiod TXT RRs
in the HS class.  It's -very- unlikely that this had anything to do
with Chaosnet, among other reasons, because there were never that many
Chaosnet Unix machines to begin with, and as far as I know the Unix
Chaosnet code base never made the jump from host tables to DNS.