Subject: dns rr types

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 17:18:00 -0400

IANA's list of RR types has:
TYPE            value and meaning                         Reference
----------      --------------------------------------    ---------
...
UINFO           100                                       [IANA-Reserved]
UID             101                                       [IANA-Reserved]
GID             102                                       [IANA-Reserved]
UNSPEC          103                                       [IANA-Reserved]
...

I don't see any mention of them in RFC 2929 (DNS-IANA considerations).

Does anyone know where these are defined?  Or why they are reserved?
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Even the voices inside my head are refusing to talk to me anymore.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:35:08 -0700

> It's unlikely that they came from MIT's Project Athena, which did
> indeed use DNS to distribute such data, but did so via Hesiod TXT RRs
> in the HS class.  It's -very- unlikely that this had anything to do
> with Chaosnet, among other reasons, because there were never that many
> Chaosnet Unix machines to begin with, and as far as I know the Unix
> Chaosnet code base never made the jump from host tables to DNS.

A precedent for use of TXT RRs for signalling...

The Genera codebase did make the jump... or at least it tried to
I gave up and hard coded the host table but I spent some time trying
to make this work for the Whitehouse machines first. There did seem
to be some code on the other end. Whether it was debugged before
symbolics exploded is anyone's guess. The explosion occurred long
before I worked on it.