Subject: Re: do implementations discard the response when TC is set?

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:51:08 +0300 (EEST)

Paul, you leave a lot unstated, so I must query again ;-).

[Pekka Savola:]
>> When Paul said, "doesn't cache it", it could be read two ways: the 
>> resolver will use it locally (as long as it's not cached), or it 
>> won't be used at all (i.e., it's discarded).
>> 
>> Which is it?
>
>[Paul]
>in the case of BIND, TCP retry is done.  BIND8 will cache nonempty
>sections other than the last one, on the assumption that those
>sections were not truncated.  (so, TC indicates end-first truncation,
>not best-fit.)

Does your latter sentence imply that BIND4 and BIND9 will discard 
non-empty sections other than the last one (as specified as "should" 
in RFC2181 section 9)?  Or if not, what is done?

Are there plans to change the behaviour, or are there specific good
reasons to do so?

This has some implications as it may lead to inconsistent data which
cannot be retrieved in any other (when used for particular type of
glue) way getting into the caches.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>