Subject: server-id

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:48:52 -0700

Two requirements for the "identity" in the answer

1) The server can have a different (a specific) identity based on 
"how" the server answers the client.  E.g., a different identity for 
each view in BIND.

2) The server identifies the identities it will claim in some non-DNS 
manner to the administrator.  E.g., listed in the logs.

Other opinions - the identity need not be understandable to the 
client.  But, when reporting bugs with the identity in the report, 
the client ought to have a clue as to whom the reported identity is 
meaningful.  (Perhaps this comes from the IP address of the response, 
etc.)
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

"I can't go to Miami.  I'm expecting calls from telemarketers." -
Grandpa Simpson.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>