Subject: still not sure

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:01:50 -0400

I'm writing stuff into the wcard draft and I am not sure what to do about this.

Not that this is literally going to be in the draft, but, what happens when:

At a slave server, accepting zone transfer (updates) the following 
record is seen:

     *.foo.*.example.  3600 IN TXT "just to be a pest"

Does the slave server note this in logs?

Does the slave server dump the zone update upon completion of transfer?

(Or) Does the slave server press this zone into service as if the 
above is legal (wrt RFC 1034, 4.3.3)?

Does the slave server recognize that *.example. is a Wild Card Domain 
Name (even if there is no other *.example. entry)?

Does the slave server recognize that *.foo.*.example. is one too?

What I sense from the group is:

     *.foo.*.example. is confusing so operators SHOULD NOT use it.
     *.foo.*.example. MUST be allowed (anticipated) in a query.
     *.foo.*.example. MUST be allowed to exact match "itself."

What's still knocking me around is whether we need to make it clear that:

   Implementations ought to anticipate such a name, and make the name act
   like a Wild Card Domain Name should - all the while we tell operators
   to not bother using it.

(It's already been said that we don't want to "outlaw" it.)
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

"I can't go to Miami.  I'm expecting calls from telemarketers." -
Grandpa Simpson.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>