Subject: wild cards

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 11:56:47 -0400

Yes, I'm actually spending time on the draft...

I have a question relating to what's a legal name.  Yea, I've asked 
this before, a few months ago.  But the answer I got then does not 
agree with what's in the minutes for the last (err, most recent?) 
meeting of the WG in Minneapolis.

Here is a message from the list (June 2):

http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2004/msg00810.html

Here is what is said in the minutes (Minneapolis, Nov 2003):

http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2003/msg02219.html, 
specifically -

>Issue (4b): Whether or not "*" can be in the middle of a name.  There
>was no discussion in the room on this one.  The basic issue is that
>the draft goes to great length to talk about how this is handled.
>Later on, someone noticed that 1034 discourages this.
>
>
>Although there is no sentiment to allow these names, nor is there any common
>use, if the names are barred as in 1034, then more rules are needed to
>specify what happens when they are (mistakenly?) seen.  If the rules aren't
>specified then behavior is unpredicatable - perhaps in ways that don't
>matter very much.
>
>An older mail list discussion leaned toward staying with 1034's definition.

In RFC 1034, this is, as far as I can tell, the definition:

# The owner name of the wildcard RRs is of
# the form "*.<anydomain>", where <anydomain> is any domain name.
# <anydomain> should not contain other * labels, and should be in the
# authoritative data of the zone.

So, should I take this to mean that:

  a.*.example.com is legal and *.example.com synthesizes records
  *.*.example.com is illegal and "is an error" (on load of zone/dynamic update)?
  *.*.example.com is discouraged, as in "SHOULD NOT" (2119 - 1034 > 0)

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

"I can't go to Miami.  I'm expecting calls from telemarketers." -
Grandpa Simpson.

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>