Subject: A/AAAA was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-iab-dns-choices-00.txt

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:00:45 -0400

At 11:38 -0400 10/20/04, Paul Vixie wrote:

>the proposal didn't put the AAAA into the additional section, it put A RR's
>there on qtype=AAAA.  just like A RR's go into the additional section on
>qtype=MX (though there it's the target rather than the owner name).  are
>you reading what i'm writing, ed?

Yes.  Although I was around during the discussions then, I didn't get 
all that into the topic.  After starting in on DNSSEC in 1996 (and 
having a history in other lookup systems), I can now say that I 
didn't really come to understand the DNS protocol until about 2002 or 
2003.  I'm still not sure I really understand all of it now.

I mention this to say that I don't bear scars of those discussions. 
I may have caused some.

>i don't like your summary.  "fear was mongered, several good solutions were
>quashed, and we got our comeuppance" is a much better summary.  but it's
>just possible that i'm bitter about this, or twisted, or perhaps both.

And that may well be - and for justifiable reasons.  What I've 
learned is to have a short memory when it comes to the debate over 
arriving at a solution.

A decision was made a while back.  It's water under the bridge.  The 
question that we need to focus on is, as always in engineering "where 
do we go from here?"

Do we want to revive the effort to "fix" the situation?

Do we want to revive the effort to "fix" the situation *now*?

Personally - I think the answer to the last question is no - not 
*now* - as we try to determine if DNSSECbis is a success.  I think we 
can live with the hit we see now.

(But that is not what tipped off the thread.)
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-571-434-5468
NeuStar

"Now under neu management"

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>