Subject: Re: progress on wcard draft

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:43:04 +0700

Date:        Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:18:31 +1000
    From:        Mark Andrews <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | 	However emitting a warning (with knob to disable) on this
  | 	(and similarly NS rdata) when it contains a IP address (w/
  | 	or w/o the terminating period) is quite reasonable to do
  | 	as is a common mis-configuration.

Yes, as I said - implementations can do whatever hand holding for the
"average" user they like - but if they're to be generally used, they also
need to be able to handle all the weird cases.

Most certainly any such knob needs to affect only locally loaded zones
(primary server stuff) - not AXFR transferred data.

kre

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/>

---

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:50:52 -0400

>(primary server stuff) - not AXFR transferred data.

Although I did at one time mention logging an event, which I did to 
provide an example of courses of actions, I don't think any 
statements on logging belong in a DNS "specification" document.

Logging is good, logging is admirable, but as far as DNS is 
concerned, it is not an interoperability issue.  (Perhaps to SYSLOG 
WG or some-such.)

Unless there's sentiment otherwise, I plan to omit any discussion of 
logging from the wcard clarification document.  But - discuss away 
anyhow.
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

"I can't go to Miami.  I'm expecting calls from telemarketers." -
Grandpa Simpson.